Tuesday, 29 September 2015

Ten Books To Read If You Liked Throne of Glass


"Top Ten Tuesday" is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Ah, I've only had the motivation to do this one meme for 3 weeks in a row, oh dear! 0_0 Is this what you call a blogging slump? Eeek, I really need to be more active. I'm going to publish some already prepared posts that I felt shy about posting before and I think I'll be starting another weekly meme. I know some people hate those but it keeps me motivated to blog so please recommend some weekly memes/features that you enjoy doing in the comments below!

That aside, this week's TTT is really hard. I decided to lean on the genre I'm most comfortable with and that's the gloriously endless fantasy genre. A lot of people think Throne of Glass (I'm speaking of only the first book here because I have yet to start the 4th book to talk about the whole series) is the greatest YA fantasy starter to ever exist but to be honest, there are several just as good (some even better) fantasy starters out there. So today I'm going to recommend some to you!

Strongly Recommended



1. Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles #1) by Melina Marchetta - A mind-blowing series starter! It started off slow but then it skyrocketed into an adventure filled with plot twists everywhere. I couldn't even trust my favorite character any more.

2. Inkheart (Inkworld #1) by Cornelia Funke - A lot of people have read this but I barely hear people talking about it? It's such a heart-warming story with the most beautiful writing I ever encountered.

3. Shadow and Bone (The Grisha #1) by Leigh Bardugo - Even though the series didn't end as I hoped it would, the first book was still one of the most atmospheric fantasy books I ever read. It introduced me to an unforgettable YA villain and raised my expectations for world-building in YA fantasy by a lot.

Recommended



4. A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses #1) by Sarah J. Maas - Yup, it wasn't the greatest book I ever read but it was definitely better than Throne of Glass. You could feel Sarah J. Maas' writing progress so strongly and I'm glad she's improved so much as a writer but I don't think my heart could take any more pain.

5. The Young Elites (The Young Elites #1) by Marie Lu - Although I felt like Marie Lu's Legend books were much stronger than this, I did enjoy this story and I'm eagerly looking forward to the release of The Rose Society! Adelina is so unique and probably the first terrifying anti-heroine I've encountered in YA fantasy so I hope she opens doors for more unique heroines to appear in YA.

6. Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes #1) by Sara Raasch - I realized that I haven't reviewed this book at all 0_0 I just recently finished it and it was intriguing and fun to read, if a bit slow. The world is creative and I can't wait for the second book (is it released? I don't even know).

7. Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White - Such a quirky, whimsical standalone read! I enjoyed it so much and the only gripes I had was that it was way too similar to one of my favorite Ghibli movies ever, Howl's Moving Castle. Luckily, the author acknowledged that she was inspired by it or it would have felt almost like plagiarism.

Worth A Try



8. The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy #1) by Marie Rutkoski - I wasn't impressed by this book or the romance but that's because I went in expecting fantasy and came out with a star-crossed lovers' romance. Still, the end of the book showed a lot of potential and I think it's a good introduction to people who don't want to be completely immersed in fairies and spells.

9. Falling Kingdoms (Falling Kingdoms #1) by Morgan Rhodes - Again, this felt mediocore in terms of world-building to me but it has a lot of potential. The magic system seemed unique and there were a few twists that caught me off guard as well as a very dark intriguing character.

10. Red Queen (Red Queen #1) by Victoria Aveyard - I pretty much hated this book but only because it was too similar to other books I have read. If you don't know about many YA trends or you can look past them, then this would make a really enjoyable read. Where I kept rolling my eyes, someone could be enchanted and I can't ignore that potential of this book.

Those are all the books I'd recommend if you liked Throne of Glass and want to read similar fantasy books! Do you guys agree that these would be good recommendations or do you think they don't give the same vibes? And what have you done for your TTT?

19 comments:

  1. I've been told to read Finnikin of the Rock and they mentioned the same thing about it starting off slow. I STILL need to read Shadow and Bone. It's currently sitting on my shelf waiting. I completely agree with you about Red Queen. So many people seem to love it, though. I'm still a little curious enough to continue to see if it gets better.

    Sarah @ The Reading Petal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup it started off slow but somehow I was too curious to let go! And phew, someone agrees with me about Red Queen haha it's a good experience if you can shrug off the cliches :)

      Delete
  2. I still need to read Throne of Glass lol My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I hope you recognized some of the recommendations and try them out too!

      Delete
  3. Fantasy isn't my genre of choice which is probably why I liked Red Queen so much :) I do want to pick up A Court of Thorns and Roses though. Great list!! I really like how you set it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad I included Red Queen then! It does have potential with people who haven't read many fantasy books which probably explains why it's so popular :)

      Delete
  4. Aww I would totally think Red Queen fit with Throne of Glass (Even though I have not read Red Queen), but it sucks that you hated it. ALSO YES TO INKHEART. It seriously needs to have more recognition because that was MY childhood book back in the day.

    I also expected more fantasy from The Winner's Curse, but sadly that didn't end up being the case. I still liked it but still, expectations.

    Really hope you get out of your blogging slump!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does in a way, considering the heroine had to disguise herself in a castle and fight for something in secret :O INKHEART IS A MASTERPIECE! Thanks for visiting Val.

      Delete
  5. I own Shadow and Bone but still haven't read it for some reason... Soon! Great list :D

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw it's a really great read, give it a try some day!

      Delete
  6. I neeeeed more fantasy recommendations so YAY FOR THIS POST. Although I have read 8 of them and hope my library will buy Falling Kingdoms. heeh. That's a bit worrying about Illusions of Fate though...I mean, even if the author said she was inspired, copying too heavily is still not okay. 0_0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, Falling Kingdoms is worth a shot! Yeah, I wasn't the only one who felt like they just read a retelling of Howl's Moving Castle when I read Illusions of Fate 0_0 There were way too many alarming similarities but luckily it ended in its own whacky way.

      Delete
  7. These are good recommendations! I've also read the majority of them, which isn't surprising hahaha.

    As for Falling Kingdoms, have you read book 2? I only gave FK 2.5 stars but Rebel Spring was a 4 star read!

    I didn't know Howl's Moving Castle was one of the inspirations for Illusions of Fate! That makes me want to read it even more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, Falling Kingdoms didn't impress me that much but I'm currently reading Rebel Spring and it's a whole other level :D Yup, Illusions of Fate has a very Howl's Moving Castle feel :)

      Delete
  8. Loads of these are on my TBR!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/09/29/top-ten-tuesday-24/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! So many of these are already on my TBR and if they are anything like ToG, I'm sure to love it! Especially Illusions of Fate and Inkheart, both of which I'v heard so much about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you do try Illusions of Fate and Inkheart, they're really well-written books :)

      Delete
  10. Dark Souls 3 Hack Cd Key
    http://bit.ly/24SNbcl

    Dark Souls 3 Hack Cd Key work fine on all platforms : MAC / Windows 2003 / XP / Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 / Win 10 but work also good on PC, PS4, Xbox One consoles.

    ReplyDelete