Wednesday, 2 September 2015

5 Fictional Characters That Will Be Missed


"Ju Jabbers" is an original feature in which I have random discussions about books, life, movies, and a myriad of other things. It's an open door to what I hope will be a fun and somewhat thought-provoking little corner of the internet.

This is going to be a really sad, really SPOILER-filled post (Spoilers from these series: Harry Potter, The Maze Runner, The Hunger Games and Throne of Glass)  but it's also very important to me. I'm going to be listing 5 fictional characters who died and who I still miss. And yes, I do miss dead fictional characters. I'm lame and sentimental like that. Of course that doesn't mean I treat their deaths with the same weight as real deaths but gosh, we're humans and we're allowed to feel emotional about anything we want to feel emotional about, right?

You see, I listen to kpop groups occasionally. One of those groups is Ladies' Code, a 5-member girl group that debuted in March 2013. I was a casual fan of their's but even I heard of the tragic incident that occurred on September 3, 2014 where the group was involved in a car accident due to rainy conditions. Their adorkable lead rapper EunB was reported dead on arrival and their talented lead dancer RiSe passed away 4 days later from serious injuries. Today marks 1 year since the accident happened.

Now, you might probably be wondering "Ju, that sounds sad but people die from car accidents all the time and it's not like you knew them personally" but that's just it: people DO die from car accidents all the time and it's tragic every single time. I want this post to be a tribute for all those people AND for EunB & RiSe whose music once made me smile. They're absolute angels who worked so hard and wanted nothing but to make people smile so let me remember them in my own way:


5. Fred Weasley from Harry Potter - Yes, Sirius Black's death was heart-wrenching and so was Dumbledore's and so was Dobby's and Lupin's and Tonk's and oh my god, J. K. Rowling is such a murderer! But the death that made me actually cry with tears streaming down my face was Fred's. I think it's because we've been seeing little bits of him throughout the series and we always thought he'd forever be a troublemaker hand-in-hand with George. But lol nope! Instead he suddenly dies and George has to live on without the sibling that he spent half his life with [INSERT ANGUISHED INTERNAL SCREAMING]. I still remember all his ingenious pranks whenever I'm stirring up mischief.


4. Cinna from The Hunger Games - Again, yeah, I know Rue's death was sad and Prim's death was unnecessary and Finnick's death totally never happened but Cinna's affected me the most. He was always the most chill person in the entire series, the only one who seemed trustworthy. He was Katniss' father figure despite his origins and you know it wasn't Haymitch. But then, he went down so suddenly and I just cried so much that my page wrinkled up and some of the letters have washed away. It was that upsetting but I also felt so proud when his silent rebellion was revealed. Honestly, I still remember Cinna every time I see fancy dresses with mind-blowing designs.


3. Newt from The Maze Runner - GAHHHHH, NOPE. I AM NOT DISCUSSING THIS. It tore me apart and it was necessary for...what? What exactly? Then again, a lot of deaths aren't necessary so what am I saying here. But still, Newt was a calm older brother and the only one to keep the boys truly in line. He was my favorite character from the series and even though he was as chill as the driven snow, his sassy one-liners were fiiiire.

Fan Art by Viria
2. Sam Cortland from Throne of Glass - WHAT THE HELL, HE'S NOT EVEN IN THE SERIES AND I MISS HIM. He's the most sincere and caring character that Celaena has probably ever encountered and he died such a brutal death I'm just so?? So?????? *sigh of an ancient being weathered by great dismay* Always try to be a precious cinnamon roll like Sam Cortland.
Fan Art by Linneart
1. Nehemia Ytger from Throne of Glass - Wow, Sarah J. Maas is on a roll. Nehemia, oh my lord, the injustice that this beautiful character gets. Everything she's ever done is fight for her country and for her people and yes, that meant she had to hide things for her plans to work but I never expected people to hate her so much for this :| I'm always seeing "protect Chaol Westfall" or "Dorian Havilliard defense squad" but whatever happened to appreciating Nehemia Ytger?? Yeah, I'm bitter but not about her death since it was all part of her plan. Anyways, go Nehemia, my favorite scheming queen with a golden heart!
Fan Art by Meabhdeloughry
Surprisingly, there aren't a lot of fictional character deaths from books that left such lasting impacts on me, which is weird because isn't it the latest trend to kill off characters in books now? Maybe the deaths just weren't written as emotionally as these were? Or maybe some deaths were so painful, I wiped them from my memory...? I don't know but whisper some characters that you miss in the comments below if you want (just say SPOILER + name of the series first as a warning!).

Finally, I just want to remind you all to always drive safe and wear your freaking seat belts.
I miss EunB and RiSe with all my heart.
Rest in peace, angels.


25 comments:

  1. I don't listen to many Kpop (I'm more of a Jpop girl), but that's so sad. :( Although I do remember reading about a book where the heroine's dad (??) died BECAUSE of wearing a seatbelt. :'(

    ANYWAY. I haven't finished all the HP books yet, but I've watched all the movies and OMG FRED. D: D: Dobby's was another INCREDIBLY sad death that made me tear up like mad!

    Oh dear. I just wrote my TTT for top characters I didn't click with, and Cinna's actually on my list. :( Finnick's non-existent death killed me more. I know, it was hardly given importance on the book, but AFTER I finished it and thought of Annie, I just started bawling like a baby.

    AND THAT NEWT. Don't even make me remember it, please! </3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah sometimes people die in car accidents because the airbags don't pop out too :( It's so sad.

      Aw yeah, I feel like Cinna wasn't developed enough, he could have been given so much more attention. Finnick's death was so unnecessary, I'm still pissed to this day. Mockingjay was a disaster of random deaths. :"(

      Delete
  2. I just finished Crown of Midnight and I am still SO upset about Nehemia. She was one of my favourite characters in the series. But I love the change that the tragedy had on the series. I am fast becoming a fan.

    I will never come to terms with Fred Weasley's death. HOW COULD YOU JKR. Why didn't you just kill Percy instead *cries*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nehemia was my favorite character after Chaol! I really adored her strength and I was so upset that she had to die for Celaena to wake the hell up :(

      Shhh, I'd rather the Weasleys were all untouched but yeah, it would have really been something if Percy, who was distant and angry with the family for a lot of the series, decided to sacrifice himself to protect his family. I think that would have had more meaning but maybe I would have cried more 0_0

      Delete
  3. Omg, this post gave me goosebumps. *cries quietly* I was really heartbroken by Cinna, and Rue, and Finnick SO JUST ABOUT EVERYONE IN THE HUNGER GAMES. I got spoiled about Newt before I read it, and that SUCKED so bad and made me take forever to finish the series. If you don't read the book where the character dies, they don't die then, right?!?!?? (LET ME DREAM.)

    I have to admit, erm...I don't like Nehemia at all. I actually really loathed her by the end of Crown of Midnight. >_< I KNOW. I'M BAD. I just thought she was super self-obsessed. Like everything was about HER people's problems and HER rights and HER opinions. And she said Celaena's problems didn't even mean anything and aghhhhhhh. Celeana had survived ENDOVIER. How could Nehemia say that to her!!??? *sobs* SO YEAH. Mixed Nehima feelings. hhehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THG MADE ME UPSET BUT ALSO ANGRY BECAUSE DID FINNICK REALLY HAVE TO DIE?? Everyone always gets "Stuffed into the Fridge" for Katniss to develop :/ Aw, a lot of people hated The Death Cure (even I think it wasn't the best) so maybe you're better off not finishing the series.....?

      Ah, it's really sad when I see people's views of Nehemia. Like how could you call her self-obsessed when she wanted to help her country so once they're saved, she could have a platform to save Adarlan? How could you think that when Celaena only cared about helping her small circle of friends and didn't fight for everyone until Nehemia died? So....yeah haha Nehemia felt like the most selfless character in the entire series to me

      Delete
  4. Because this was spoiler filled I only went down to the Hunger Games section. Cinna! Oh he was the best but all the deaths in that series were pretty tough. I totally get sad, cry and miss fictional characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I hope you didn't catch any spoilers!! 0_0 Yeah you expect so many tragic deaths from THG but when you actually read them, it's still tough to read :/

      Delete
  5. I know Fred Weasley :( made me cry and Cinna was a sad one too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still feel sad about Fred and Cinna too :( *fandom hug*

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh Nehemia and Sam's deaths slayed me. WHY WHY WHY. Ahhh I cried during both I think. Cinna and Fred's were pretty rough too. ;(

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NEHEMIA AND SAM DIED SO BRUTALLY I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE. Waah, it's been years and it feel like Fred and Cinna's death was just yesterday :(

      Delete
  7. omg. I will never ever ever recover from Fred's death. It just felt soooooo unnecessary and horrifically cruel! George's children will never meet their uncle Fred, and he is half of George's soul. Excuse me while I sob D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG ALLIYAH DON'T GET STARTED ON GEORGE'S KIDS. There are so many head cannons on tumblr about George visiting Fred's grave with his kids and it hurts so much, I can't!

      Delete
  8. *cries for a million years* GAH JUWAIRIYA THIS POST IS GIVING ME ALL THE FEELS. *cries more* I'm still not over all these deaths, mostly because they were all such amazing and well-developed characters before they met their fates. Cinna and Sam especially - they did so much for the heroines of their respective series. Thanks for sharing this (even though it made me so sad - LOL) and, as always, fabulous post! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'M SORRY BUT I HAD TO TALK ABOUT THIS ONE DAY! x(
      Cinna and Sam were so developed and pure and wanted nothing but good. Excuse me while I cry in the corner and listen to sad songs all day.

      Delete
  9. I've never listened to Kpop before, but that's truly disheartening. :( At least this great post came out of it? I agree, TOG SPPOILER-- Sam was never IN the books, but his death made my heart wrench. It was just so UNFAIR. Don't even get me started on Nehemia. HP SPOILER--AND FRED! My poor heart...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, innocent people dying is saddening no matter what :"(

      SAM'S DEATH WAS SO UNFAIR INDEED, ALL HE DID WAS LOVE AND PROTECT AND HE WAS BRUTALIZED ( ಥ_ಥ)

      Delete
  10. Lool, you mentioned your post contained spoiler but I didn't realise I would be spoiled that much lol! I'm in the middle of the Hunger Game, and I LOVE Cinna. I can't believe he dies! Is the like no justice in this world? And Nehemia? She was one of the best character and on top of that she was black. What the--? I didn't like Throne of Glass but I planned to read Crown of Midnight anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaahh, Sarah! I'm so sorry if I spoiled anything for you and ruined it for you D: I guess it's still heartbreaking to see 'how' Cinna dies. I really hated that Nehemia was killed :| Especially since she was the only black character ugh.

      Delete
    2. That's also why I'm hating her death. Black characters in books, movies and series are always the first to go down.

      Delete
  11. This is an epic and terribly heartbreaking list, Juwairiya! I've read all these series and the PAIN. IT IS REAL. And posting about how sad you are about someone's death, no matter what your relationship was to them, that is absolutely fine. I think it's so important to remember people and even if you didn't know them personally, doesn't mean you can feel hard hit by their death.

    Cinna's death never really became real for me, because I always thought he'd come back, that since they never found his body he might still be alive. But Finnick. HE WAS MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE CHARACTER. And it just happened, no lead up, one moment and then that was it. It was horrible.
    Sirius hit me so hard in HP. I loved his character and the fact Harry finally had someone, although the loss the Weasleys faced was so awful, too.
    And I'm definitely with you on Sam (The Assassin's Blade and Celaena's memories of him make me completely able to love him and anguish in his loss) and Nehemia. Both were so important to her and the books and I'm so sad they were killed, and that they were so brutally.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Romi, you always leave such touching comments! It really makes my day :") FINNICK WAS MY FAVE TOO! I WILL NEVER BE OVER THAT DEATH, NEVERRRR ( ಥ_ಥ) They barely remembered after and that probably hurt me even more than the actual gruesome scene!

      HP was so brutal, every time I reread that series, my heart just breaks into a million pieces.

      Delete