Tuesday, 7 July 2015

Top Ten Hyped Books I've Never Read


"Top Ten Tuesday" is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
This list could go on forever because I'm a slow reader and also a wary reader but I usually like jumping onto the hype train even if it leads to another train wreck. I guess I just want to experience the feels that everyone else is feeling so I could join in on their exciting conversations. The following books I might read or I might not, depends on whether I think the hype is "deserved"~



1. Grey by E.L. James - Hahahahahhhhaahahahahaahaa. Nope. Not for me.


2. Red Rising (Red Rising #1) by Pierce Brown - This book is supposed to have advanced army tactics and a passionate main character and I don't know why I haven't read it yet.


3. Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) by Sarah J. Maas - Second time it's on a "not read" list *the shame, shame, shame bell rings*. But I really have to catch up with this series since everyone is talking about some guy named Rowan Whitethorn on my Twitter and there are always ship wars and apparently Chaol's character gets horrible???? 0_0 Say it isn't so.


4. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta - I've read Marchetta's Finnikin of the Rock and her writing was amazing there so everyone immediately recommends all her other books for the same reason. I have zero idea what this story about but I still really want to read it.


5. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews - This is on my immediate TBR because the movie has been released (in worldwide cinemas?? I don't know) and it's been adored by everyone and I adore the trailer so I need.


6. Vicious by V. E. Schwab - *shame, shame, shame bell rings again*


7. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - BookTube was raving about this book even though it's been out for a while. I think it suddenly became popular because of the upcoming sequel (on July 14th), which has a cover so artsy that I want a poster of it.


8. Outlander (Outlander #1) by Diana Gabaldon - This one was made popular by the TV show but it was already pretty popular on its own. I plan to read the book before marathoning the show but I don't know if it'll be happening any time soon since the book is a heavy tomb.


9. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr -  I don't know why I keep thinking this book is about a lighthouse horror story when it's actually a World War II story stretching from Paris to Germany. I have a morbid obsession with World War II period stories so I neeed this. It's also been praised by everyone and their father and a bazillion shiny awards.


10. To Kill a Mockingbird (To Kill a Mockingbird #1) by Harper Lee - This story is a classic and it's becoming an even more popular classic because it's probably the only classic I know of that's getting a sequel in modern days. Okay, the story isn't that old except that it is: 1982! And now a sequel in 2015! I'm still amazed for some reason and I haven't even read the first book.

Do you recognize any of the books above? Do you think the hype is "deserved" or a sham or did you not feel like there was any hype at all? Tell me your thoughts and don't forget to link to your TTT as well!

22 comments:

  1. Great list ! Even if I have my own issues with Vicious, I can say that it totally lives up to the hype, so I hope you'll like it. I feel like a failure now that everyone's talking about Harper Lee again because I DNF To Kill A Mockingbird and I have no intention of ever picking it up again. I usually blame cultural differences because I'm not American, but even I know that's a flimsy excuse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh this is the first time I ever heard of someone DNF-ing To Kill A Mockingbird :O But it's nice to see a different opinion, maybe I'll end up DNF-ing it too, who knows. Hmm, how do cultural differences play into it? I'm not American either so...

      Delete
  2. When I first saw Grey, I was like, "Ju wants to read this?!?!" then I read your caption and totally laughed. And I agree 100%. I have the same thoughts on Red Rising, too--I know a lot of my trusted reviewers loved it and I'm kicking myself for not having read it yet.

    Chaol does some stuff in book 2 that people didn't like, but I couldn't care less because I never liked his character anyway. xD You still have to read the sequels to this though--they're so much better than ToG.

    I have, sadly, never read a Melina Marchetta book. Feel free to throw tomatoes at me now. Shame on me for not having read Vicious, Ready Player One and Outlander as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pffft, my ancestors would turn in their graves, if I read Grey xD haha I also felt ill by just reading Fifty Shades so I don't want to repeat that experience.

      Aw, I loved Chaol, he was the character I loved most in ToG apart from Nehemia! And I've never read a contemporary Marchetta book, so I feel like we're on the same boat to Missing-Out-ville

      Delete
  3. I had Red Rising, Outlander and All the Light We Cannot See as well. I have had such a thing for books set during World War II lately soI need to pick All the Light up soon. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is checked out from the library so hopefully I can get to it next week - I have heard such good things - Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl was released in a much cheaper paperback version too so bless! I've seen mixed reviews for the book, mostly because of the pacing but oh well, we'll just have to see.

      Delete
  4. Let me tell you, I am tired of hearing how horrible Chaol gets. It is a lie, if you love Chaol in the first book, this will not change in the second or third book, likewise if you don't like him in the first book, you'll probably find an excuse to dislike him more. I do think you should pick up To Kill a Mockingbird, it's one of those classics I always recommend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chaol was my favorite character in the first book so I don't want to see his character butchered (╥﹏╥) I've had To Kill a Mockingbird on my shelf for ages, hopefully I pick it up this summer!

      Delete
  5. ok lol @ everyone who says chaol is horrible. i definitely don't think he's horrible, he just has some personal issues & prejudices to sort out but that's mostly in heir of fire so you have two more books to go until you get to that. you can just enjoy the chaolaena ship in crown of midnight AND IT'LL BE EVERYTHING. and then there's drama but like OF COURSE THERE WILL BE. but i didn't even really think what chaol did was so bad in book 2? like idk i just didn't get it. i thought it was a little dumb yeah but also understandable why he acted the way he did. so anyway i think people are maybe slightly exaggerating about his horribleness. he's not horrible (unless you hated him in the first place). he's just a little clueless. but on the bright side celaena / aelin gets so badass in heir of fire YOU WILL DIE. and omg don't even get me started on rowan. I LOVE ROWAN. and i have so many feels about this series which is why you need to read it and then we can chat!! because i will never ever get enough of throne of glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah, now I'm really curious 0_0 I hope he stays true to himself because I loved the level-headed Chaol in book 1! I need to meet this Rowan person too, he looks like a dark-skinned Legolas from the fanarts?? How precious.

      Delete
  6. "everyone is talking about some guy named Rowan Whitethorn on my Twitter" BAHA. Rowan is life, you definitely need to catch up if you are still interested in the series! Chaol is...Chaol? I didn't too much change in him, especially not for the worse. Heir of Fire is glorious, the writing, the characters, the FEELS. Definitely worth catching up on. I haven't read Outlander either but the hype is probably going to get to me sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a relief! He was probably my favorite character in ToG so I need him to survive and not become a stranger. Outlander is going to be a month-long mission at the very least, I'm in awe of people who just zip through the whole series 0.o

      Delete
  7. I am also ringing the shame bell about Vicious and All the Light We Cannot See. *ring ring* But I JUST caught up with the Throne of Glass series, and let me tell you, Rowan is AWESOME. I don't think Chaol's character gets worse, but he has never been one to draw my interest too much, anyway. I just can't believe you haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird! It is one of the only books I was forced to read in school that I actually liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, well it's a relief that you enjoyed the rest of the series! Ah, I was enrolled in the science section of my school (because I'm a biology nerd lol) so I never took English Literature in high school. Sad that I missed out on To Kill a Mockingbird but I'll get around to reading it anyways :)

      Delete
  8. VICIOUS! I am most excited for you to read Vicious in this pile. I remember delaying to read that one because I wasn't sure I'd like it, then one day, I saw it glaring at me from its dainty position in the shelves and I was like, "FINE, FINE. I'LL GO READ YOU, YOU DAMN BOOK!" and the rest was history (read: loved it to the moon and back). I really hope you get to that one soon because it was a roller coaster ride with complex characters and some amazing superpowers.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your love for the book is shining through my laptop, Faye! Haha I really need to read more books in the spur of the moment again! I forgot how that feels like...

      Delete
  9. YOU KNOW WHAT maybe you are getting All The Light We Cannot See mixed up with this other book called The Light Between Oceans, which DOES have a lighthouse on its cover! HM?

    But you need to read that book. AND HAHA I DIDN'T EVEN CONSIDER PUTTING GREY ON MY LIST. Because BLEHHH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just googled the book and THE COVER IS SO SIMILAR 0_0 Haha and it looks familiar too so that solves my cover confusion mystery.

      Lol Grey was a given no-no for me :)

      Delete
  10. I haven't read Jellicoe Road either! (Well actually I tried to but couldn't get into it. I want to come back to it one day because I have a blogging friend who LOVES it, but for now I'm hiding in shame.) And your shame bells re: Vicious are ringing for me too. I've loved everything I've read from the author, so I don't know why I haven't read this one yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even read a single book by Victoria Schwab yet and I don't even know wHY, especially considering since she's such a popular YA author omg

      Delete
  11. Well, you're not missing out on much besides To Kill A Mockingbird. I haven't read most of the others - I borrowed Grey from the library LOL I'm actually curious to read his perspective but the whole retelling of the story is going to annoy me, I wish it was more about his past, before he met Anna. I DNF Red Rising which is sad because everyone loves it. It's not terrible, but I had a hard time getting into it. I'm going to give it another try soon though, it does have potential. I didn't like TOG as well, I think the series actually gets worse as it goes on - I prefer the first book over the others and almost everyone loves the sequels better which baffles my mind since I'm an odd ball out.. . Chaol is not that bad, I still liked him even though he had made some horrible choices.

    Maybe you might like these books better then me? <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray for your survival from the horrific journey of reading Grey 0_0 Some people are okay with it but I choked on my tea just from reading snippets on Buzzfeed. WOAH, okay, now you're scaring me with saying Throne of Glass was the best book in that series. I gave it like 2 stars and could barley finish it because it was so excruciatingly slow and Celaena was excruciatingly annoying. Still hoping I'll end up liking them though.

      Delete