Sunday, 12 July 2015

Pixar Book Tag!



The graphic was made by the tag creator Mishma @ Chasing Faerytales and I had to use it because it was so cute (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ And I can finally say I've been tagged to do something now! Accomplishment achieved. It's all thanks to Jillian's Books, who is a sweet marshmallow with a seriously intriguing blog! 

This tag combines 2 of some of my favorite things: books and Pixar movies! Ahhh, Pixar. I think the first Pixar film I watched was Finding Nemo in the 1st grade and everyone in my class (especially me) cried at the end because we were all so relieved for Nemo. Ever since, I watched these movies with my brothers, mostly as a way to stop my smallest brother from crying, but I ended up enjoying them as much as him (maybe even more). So this tag will be a hoot ~ 

1. Warm-up: What's your favorite Pixar movie?



First is not the worst here because I loved Finding Nemo the most out of all the Pixar movies. It's generally moving because everyone has felt lost or confused once in a while but to me, it was something I could literally relate to since I seriously did get very lost when I was 6 and my family traveled to Medina, Saudia Arabia. One second I was holding onto my mom's hand in the huge Prophet's Mosque and the next second, there were crowds of people rushing past me. If you've ever seen a picture of Mecca or Medina, then you'd know that I don't just mean the kind of crowd you see in zoos. It's the sea of people kind of crowd.

Anyhoo, the guards there weren't helpful at all because they only spoke Arabic and I ended up walking in circles for hours until a nice old lady led me to the entrance, where I waited till my older brother found me (bless my bright red cap). So yeah, that experience of being lost never left me and that's why Nemo's struggles made me cry loads when I first saw the movie. My first grade teacher (bless Ms. Chan) even had to hug me for so long to stop me from being such a crybaby.

2. Toy Story: Favorite childhood book that you never grew out of?



Surprisingly, not Harry Potter since I read that beautiful series way too late in my freshman year of high school. But I did read every single book by Eva Ibbotson that was in my primary school library. All her children's books are so creative and adventurous but I think The Star of Kazan was the most memorable and atmospheric one.

3. A Bug's Life: A book that felt too similar to another popular book?



For this, I have to say The Iron Trial by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare. We all know what it's similar to and it's not just that there's a magic school in both books. There's also the marked at birth thing, the Dark Lord thing, the wise master wizard thing, the Draco Malfoy thing and of course, the HORCRUX thing. I guess none of that matters if you wanted to read something similar to Harry Potter but. I. Didn't. :)

4. Monsters Inc: A villain whom you couldn't hate?



The Darkling from The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo. He has good intentions but his plans are the most evil power-mongering plans to ever be. And yet, I couldn't hate him throughout the series because he was just too intriguing and mysterious! I know it's probably not going to happen but I really need more of him. I still feel like his character was barely explored or seen after the first book and the last we see of him is so unsatisfying :/

5. Finding Nemo: Best family relationship you read about in a book?



Hands-down, Meggie and Mortimer from The Inkheart Trilogy by Cornelia Funke. I don't think there's a single father-daughter relationship as developed and lovable as theirs. Meggie trusts her father for everything and in return, Mo respects and cherishes her. But not everything is peachy perfect because there are times when Meggie is lied to or lies back and there are times when Mo is overprotective of his only child—all those realistic problems that parents face when their kids grow up and become rebellious in order to find their own independence but the parents don't want them to fly out of the nest yet. I loved reading about these 2 characters learning and teaching and growing with each other.

6. The Incredibles: The superpower of a character that you wish you had?



Magic from Harry Potter because then I'd be able to do anything mwahahahaha! Well, almost anything that the Ministry of Magic allows, that is. This is still boss level cheating, I know, but that's because I will always be bitter about not being invited to Hogwarts and being sorted into the Slytherin house and eating feasts under a lightning-lit ceiling ;___;

7. Cars: A book where the characters go on a road trip/travel a lot?



I've read zero road trip books (I know, I don't know what I'm doing with my life) but I really loved Blood Red Road by Moira Young and its traveling aspect even if it wasn't exactly a carefree, fun journey. Saba has to travel across the sandstorm-filled deserts and corrupt cities of her world but she manages it with the help of hard-earned friends, her spirited little sister and an instinctive red rage in her mind. I don't know why I never completed this trilogy but I guess I just felt like Saba's story was complete and the story didn't need to go on...? Either that or the mixed reviews for books 2 & 3 just scared me away.

8. Ratatouille: Your favorite sidekick in a book?



Kenji Kishimoto from The Juliette Chronicles by Tahereh Mafi is the most fabulous, caring and hilarious sidekick out there and y'all know it.

9. Wall-E: What's your favorite (or top 5) dystopian book/series?



Whenever I think of dystopia, I remember all my jaded and disappointed feelings with the last few dystopian books I read and it's kind of sad that my last thoughts of the genre are bitter. But that doesn't mean there weren't great books that got me obsessed with the genre in the first place. My favorite series has got to be The Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu since it had the most atmospheric world-building, the most movie-ready action scenes and it actually went beyond the USA, which was something that The Hunger Games didn't even try.

10. Up: The most beautiful love story you've ever read?



I don't usually read books that are just about the romance so no joke, I just sat here, thinking about this one for ages. In the end, I'm going to rely on one of my all time favorites, The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. It wasn't only about the romance but the relationship between Achilles and Patroclus was so important to the story, not to mention that it was so beautifully developed and so painfully resolved.

11. Brave: The most badass heroine you've read about?



The first one that comes to mind is Daenerys Targaryen. I don't care if she's "overrated", she still makes me feel powerful whenever I think about her. I love her story arc so far in the A Song Of Ice And Fire series and I love how she's so young and inexperienced but still gives everything her all. She's a badass queen who's not giving up on The Iron Throne any time soon.

12. Inside Out: The book that gave you all the feels?



I haven't felt heartfelt, raw emotion while reading a book in quite a long while. The books I've been completing are either 3 star "meh" books or pleasant ones that were fun while they lasted. But there's one emotional roller coaster that is still fresh in my memory and that's Fuel The Fire by Krista and Becca Ritchie. To be honest, any book written by them gives you all the feels but this one didn't just make me teary-eyed but actually bawling. There's so much struggling experienced by the 2 characters that we always thought of as the most powerful, in-control leaders but boy, this novel just turns everything around. The end tore me apart but I didn't just feel sad. I felt happy, excited, worried, angry, ALL THE FEELS.

Now that I think about it, I don't think there's a single Pixar movie that I disliked. Heck yeah, even the disastrous Cars 2 was enjoyable, despite the fact that it completely lacked that heart-warming Pixar magic. Now it's your turn! I tag Alliyah @ Risk To Write and Lina @ Every Book A World and anybody else who teared up at the end of any Pixar film.





14 comments:

  1. I really loved Finding Nemo as well, it's one movie that has stayed with me throughout the years - The Legend series was an amazing dystopian novel, it's one of my favorites but June annoyed me at some parts. Day was adorable though <3 I agree about it being atmospheric, it's a beautiful series. Great answers overall, haven't seen this tag around much
    Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I guess June did have her faults but I still loved her more than most heroines. Yup, it's a fairly new tag that Mishma just created!

      Delete
  2. Awesome tag post!! I could never hate the Darkling either. He's simply too perfect. I wish I had the HP magic too, life would be so much easier and cooler ;) Legend is definitely a pretty epic dystopian tale! Lovely post :)

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still waiting for that one Darkling novella ( ಥ_ಥ) Legend is still the first dystopian series I recommend if anyone is asking. Thanks for visiting, Rachel!

      Delete
  3. I think I watched Finding Nemo for the first time in class too! Oh my gosh, your story of getting lost sounds terrifying! I asked my parents if I ever got lost and they said no because they kept me on one of those child leashes -_- Anyways! THE DARKLING, HELP ME. I just finished Ruin and Rising and his prequel story yesterday so the feels are still so fresh. I could never hate him either, I really pity him and his story is so tragic. Great villain. Never heard of The Song of Achilles but now it is on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha remember when they used to roll in the TV and everyone would gather excitedly when they see the teacher hold up a cassette tape? Ah, those were the days! I wonder if they still do that in schools these days. HE HAS A PREQUEL STORY?? WHAT. WHERE. WHO WHYWEEIUHFIW I DID NOT KNOW OF THIS AT ALL.

      Delete
  4. I JUST watched Inside out before typing this so YAY for that gif! HUGS!

    I loved the relationship between meggie and her father. that book brings up such great memories.

    i can't be surprised about the cassandra clare one though. she did start off writing hp fanfiction and a lot of people compare her tmi series to harry potter. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high-five* Inside Out was such a heartwarming movie, pixar's newest gem! Yeah, I think Cassandra Clare just cackled when she wrote all these similarities to Harry Potter because I feel like she's planning to plot twist the series so much that it'll become something else entirely haha. I don't even know. If JK Rowling ain't suing, then I guess it's allowed.

      Delete
  5. AHHH I LOVE DANERYES. Okay. I totally messed her name up. But if I say Danyfdaskl you probably know what I mean right?! ;-) hEeeh. Anyway. I adore her, and her badassery-ness and how she just goes for it. I'm reading book #3 right now and she's doing all these epic battles and she's just like, "I know I'm a little girl and don't know anything about war" ... *slays a nation*
    HAHAA OH DANY.
    Ahem.
    Also Pixar is brilliant. :') Also, I want to read Blood Red Road!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your spelling was so off but I didn't get it right until I stared at the name in print extremely intensely for 10 minutes. I swear that little girl thing is just a ploy by her to lower everyone's expectations before she conquers their nation haha I can't believe some readers actually fall for it. You should give Blood Red Road a try! I read it so fast even though the dialog is sort of bizarre because of the dialect.

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for the tag! I loved reading this, especially cause I haven't read a lot of the books you mentioned (rest assured I added them to my goodreads tbr ASAP). I read the Inkheart trilogy when I was about 13 but never actually finished the third book but I'm itching to read it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah can't wait to see your answers! I read the Inkheart trilogy around the same age as you and although the first book was my favorite, I really recommend finishing the series since there's even more heartbreak and beautiful characters to meet!

      Delete
  7. Eeep!! Thanks for tagging me! :D I'll get around to this eventually, though I am going on vacation next week... But I love the idea of this tag!

    Also, I'm totally with you on the whole Darkling thing. I think he's done terrible things, and may be beyond redemption, but you feel his suffering and you just cannot hate him (besides the fact that he is so swoon-worthy). So I'm going to share what has pretty much been a PSA for me: the Darkling has a PREQUEL STORY in a special edition of Ruin and Rising for Barnes and Noble! I read it just while browsing at the store, so I don't know if it'll be easy to get your hands on overseas, but IT'S WORTH IT. It explores his background growing up and what kind of started his whole loneliness/outcast status/hatred. And it is amazing.
    - Lina @ Every Book a World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, just saw that someone BEAT ME TO TELLING YOU ABOUT THE PREQUEL STORY but I guess that's ok because I was able to tell you where to get it. ;)

      Delete