Friday, 3 July 2015

June 2015: Good Trash, Diverse Shows & Hansol Memes



Half off 2015 has passed already and I don't even know what I did with my life for 6 whole months. I don't even know what happened ever since 2012 to be honest. So to avoid feeling like my life is flying by without me knowing, I decided to join in on the monthly recap posts that summarize your life for the month. I guess I like remembering the little things that happen in my life but not to the point that I have an urge to write in a journal (although my artsy fartsy side would love more than anything to have a decorative diary). A monthly recap sounds like the perfect balance!


Life
This month, I shamefully(??) did everything BUT read. Okay, I did read a few books because books are just who I am, but not as many as I usually do. Guess why:

(a) The month of Ramadan + Pakistani culture = 38917813971 dinner parties and newly recruited assistant chef Ju
(b) Kpop bands & TV shows took over my life
(c) My sleep schedule is so messed up that I sleep at 7 AM and wake up at 8 PM
(d) All of the above

The answer is obviously "(e) that last one". This month has mostly been busy because of Ramadan and the many dinner parties that occur after fasting. My relatives pretty much live in my house now so that means that there are mattresses everYWHERE and the shampoo is always finished before I even step into the shower. My multifandom nerds only made my life more chaotic by introducing me to all kinds of things from the internet and now I am all kinds of trash. But it's the "good" kind of trash that our Shadowhunters TV Alec Lightwood believes in:



Books I've Read
1. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas (★ ★ ★ ✩ ✩)
2. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli (★ ★ ★ ★ ✩)
3. Captive Prince: Volume One by C.S. Pacat (★ ★ ★ ★ ✩)

And out of the three, I have to say that Captive Prince was my favorite. While it's in the Adult genre, and it's not like anything I usually read, the characters were all so devious, scheming and enticing.

Other Madness I've Discovered


I binge-watched all 3 seasons of Netflix's Orange Is The New Black and it was glorious. Racism is real, sexism is real, classicism is real. This is TV done brutally honestly but in the funniest possible way. It knows when to take issues seriously and when to lighten up and the writing is A++ quality. Also, for the first time ever, the main character of a show could disappear and almost nobody would care at all because the other characters have so much more depth than Piper will ever have, so that's unique.


Apart from that, I've also been watching Sense8, another Netflix original, and I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON but I care so much about the characters that it doesn't matter. I know, I don't get it either. That show is more about the emotion of the journey rather than a coherent destination if you ask me. Also: incredible and authentic diversity.


Cinema-wise, I finally saw Pitch Perfect 2 properly (the first one was noticeably better) as well as The Riot Club (centered around literally only one insane dinner party), Jurassic World (CHRIS PRATT basically), and a whacky anime movie, Summer Wars (family was such a huge factor and it was heart-warming). My friend is trying to get me into 80's movies but I'm reluctant on the whole thing to be honest. I watched The Breakfast Club and I did not enjoy it. It was excruciatingly boring to me and I couldn't relate to a thing. I know it's famous because a lot of people feel nostalgic while watching it but for me it was really irrelevant. So I tried watching The Blade Runner, because maybe sci-fi was my 80's jam, and it was amazingly atmospheric and beautifully shot but the romance sickened me with how forceful it was. I couldn't delete the gross, over-powering make-out scene from my brain.

And then there's the Kpop scene. I fell into kpop hell once back in 2012 and now I'm back and it's all due to the new 13-member band, Seventeen. It started when I constantly saw memes of Hansol (stage name: "Vernon"), their main rapper, on my twitter timeline and although I hate it when people say it, he really does look like a prettier young Leonardo DiCaprio. I don't know how I went from googling Hansol to watching Seventeen's debut concert, interviews, reality shows like "17 Project" and all their dance practice videos but yeah. I didn't slip into the diamond life. I lethally NOSEDIVED into the diamond life. You only have to watch this music video to understand why:


For anyone who's curious, my bias is Mingyu because his rapping does things to me and he was born on the EXACT same day as me: 6 April 1997!! After having my life ruined by Seventeen, I got obsessed with 4minute, Ailee, BTS and I've already been in love with EXO, SHINee and B.A.P for a while now but those are stories for other days.

I really need to get back into my reading groove this month so if you have any recommendations, don't hesitate to throw them at me. And do you recognize any of the shows/movies/bands above? Don't forget to tell me what you guys have been up to this month!


22 comments:

  1. i feel you about time flying by too fast. this year in particular has just been going by so quickly and honestly i dont know if i can handle this. sometimes things pass me so fast i just want to be like slowww downnn. let me have a breather and just process everything for a bit.

    everyone's been going on about sense8 lately so i'm like hey maybe i should finally get netflix and watch it...

    anyway it sounds like you've had a good month. hope you have a great july and happy ramadan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Aren't summer days supposed to have longer days and shorter nights? Then why does it feel like the opposite 0_0 Sense8 is definitely worth a Netflix account! You'll feel all the feels.

      Hope you have a great July too! ^^

      Delete
  2. YES for bingeing OITNB. I LOVE that show so much. I really want to start Sense8 because it just sounds so interesting I need to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned so much from that show PARTICULARLY that scene where Sophia is teaching the girls about the anatomy of a girl's hooha. That scene was legendary haha. And Sense8 is full of the most lovable characters. Some are so sweet and cheerful, others are lost angels and then there's that one oversensitive manchild that will make you die :D

      Delete
  3. *high five for Shadowhunters* And I agree about Pitch Perfect 2! Everyone went crazy over it, and it IS good, but it doesn't have the same feel as the first one... Anyway, I totally recommend The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman and The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black! Both are INCREDIBLE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ayy, the Shadowhunters TV cast are all so adorable on Twitter (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ And yeah, I barely laughed in this Pitch Perfect but it still gave me a fuzzy feeling. Anything by Neil Gaiman is a muST, thanks for reminding me! And I need to read a book by Holly Black already, I can't believe I haven't till now.

      Delete
  4. I don't know if you've read this before or not but my recommendation is The Start of Me and You :) Finished it a few days ago and it was SO GOOD.

    Ah, it seems like the time has come for Kpop stars to have the same age as mine (or at least close). I'm a 1998 kid... Back then in my middle school days Kpop was HUGE. I mean, they're still popular but not the most talked-about topic now. I LOVE Ailee though! She has good vocal skills! Other than that I used to be quite obsessed with MBLAQ, SHINee and a few CN Blue songs hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't read it yet but the Quiz Bowl part sounds nerdy and cute haha I'll give it a try.

      Pssst, a few of the guys in Seventeen are born in 1998 and their youngest is in 1999! Ailee is a goddess omg her voice is so stable for hours in live performances like she doesn't even need to breathe to sing and I hate that all people have to say about her is that "she's fat" -_-

      Delete
  5. I don't even want to try The Breakfast Club. Egh. I think you're spot on: it's the kind of movie you'd feel nostalgic about. SO NOT FOR ME. hehe. I kind of want to see Jurassic World though! Mostly: Chris Pratt. xD I've never seen the originals.
    AHHH I WANT TO READ SIMON VS THE HOMO SAPIEN AGENDA SO BADLY. I hear so many reave things about it. And I basically should've given ACOTAR 3-stars, because in retrospect I'm pretty disappointed with it. :| I need some exceptionally goodreads too. Lately I've been giving everything 3 or 2 stars and my little heart is crying piteously. I read Dumplin' by Julie Murphy though and it's not out yet but it. was. so. freaking. good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the original Jurassic movies and they're definitely better....but they don't have CHRIS PRATT. I don't know what would have happened to this movie if it wasn't starring him hahaha.

      Same! 2015 started out so well for me but now suddenly I can only give 3 or 2 stars to books :| I need more good books! Definitely will add Dumplin' to my TBR, I love how in the synopsis Willowdean is proud to call herself fat.

      Delete
  6. My dad actually warned me about The Breakfast Club. He said exactly what you did - that it's boring. i don't think I'll be watching it now. Pitch Perfect Two wasn't that bad but I felt like Beca REALLY didn't want to be there. The musi was pretty good, though!

    Ramadan and the dinner parties sounds like such a good time. I fast during March for my religion and I love it. Besides health benefits, I always feel more active [which is weird because everyone thinks I'm supposed to feel like dying lol]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT IS BORING. Or at least I don't understand the appeal/deeper meaning. I didn't laugh much with Pitch Perfect 2 and their performances were too short compared to last time?? But it was still a fun movie. Hope Pitch Perfect 3 is even better.

      Oh yeah, Ramadan is fun even if I complain about the chores a lot haha I don't understand how people say fasting is unhealthy or tiring, I mean you're still eating but you're controlling the excess eating/snacking that you tend to do on normal days so whut.

      Delete
  7. HA, I feel you. For some reason I still think it's 2013. Like if I google a movie and the release date is 2012 I think it's still really new. Where does the time go??

    I've heard great things about Captive Prince and I know I HAVE to read it soon, it is especially interesting because it's not my normal thing either so to know you enjoyed it gives me high hopes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. My brother asked for a movie recommendation the other day and I said "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" but he didn't watch it because it was 15 years old whut I didn't realize that at all 0_0 I keep forgetting that 2000 was over a decade ago now!

      I read Captive Prince so fast, it's so weird at first because it feels so not-YA, but you get used to it all very quick and then everything is just so suspenseful.

      Delete
  8. I watched The Breakfast Club last year, and yes it's so boring. I don't know why many people said that it's really good. Maybe that movie is meant for someone like our parents xD I watch Pitch Perfect 2 and Jurassic World too, and both are great, though I prefer Pitch Perfect 1 too.

    I haven't read Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, but I heard it's really great and funny. Glad you like i too! Hopefully I can read it soon :D

    Tiffany @ The Bookish Thought

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was the only one who thought that but luckily, I'm not!! (✿◠‿◠)

      Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda is a wonderful relaxing book with serious messages said in a very calm way. I liked how easy it was to read!

      Delete
  9. OMFG YESSSS SENSE8 IS AMAZING. I DUNNO WHATS GOING ON EITHER BUT I WANT TO HUG ALL ZE CHARACTERS SO MUCH. Orange is the new Black is pretty good as well! I stopped watching a while ago for no good reason... TIME TO CONTINUE *nods*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TIME TO CONTINUE for sure! Season 2 brings so much love for the POC characters especially, it's so beautiful and although season 3 wasn't my favorite season, it brought some light to the fab, forgotten characters like Chang.

      Delete
  10. I've been seeing OITNB and Sense8 almost everywhere on my Twitter feed (did someone decide to gather everyone and buddy-watch these shows because I obviously did not get the memo and I feel a biiiiiiiiit left out!). Kidding aside, I want to watch these two soon because no joke that I know everyone completely adores it. Have you tried The 100? That's one of the shows I've watched and really love recently!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same thoughh, Twitter and Tumblr are the reasons why I watched OITNB and Sense8! And it was worth it for the most part. It wasn't like those shows that have hype but when you actually watch it, you end up watching it just for the hot people and eventually gain some sense and drop it (see: The Vampire Diaries is renewed for a Season 923283 despite the fact that even the MC's actress has quit). I've watched season 1 of The 100 and it was cheesy at first but it's really progressing into something unique! I hear season 2 is even more darker, wohoo.

      Delete
  11. I'VE BEEN EXACTLY THE SAME WAY THIS MONTH. Except I didn't have any major holidays that took up my time, so I don't really know what my excuse is, except that anime and manga have overtaken my life and reading em second! Aargh, I really need to read more these next few weeks before I eventually have to go back to school. And I can definitely see how you fell into Kpop, that song/video was pretty catchy. But how can you have 13 band members?! I mean, MAN.
    - Lina @ Every Book a World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT ANIME/MANGA HAVE TAKEN OVER YOUR LIFE! Haha, I just love discovering new ones even though they nab so much of my precious reading time ;___; Bless, I'm so glad you listened to the song and lol the Kpop industry is famous for its huge bands (probably because they focus a lot on the performance as well as the music) although they tend to fall apart after 5 or so years. I'm really hoping this band makes it for a while though since I'm too attached to all the members already.

      Delete