Tuesday, 16 June 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Diverse Books On My Summer TBR


"Top Ten Tuesday" is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This summer I want to dig into some diverse reads and that includes mental/physical illnesses, LGBTQIA representation and POC cultures. Luckily, 2015 doesn't have a shortage of these books and there are even some from previous years that I've been meaning to read for ages~



1. Sugar by Deirdre Riordan Hall -  I just got this from NetGalley yesterday and I've started it and it's horrifying yet emotional with it its brutal truth. Sugar's experiences dealing with obesity are not sugar-coated (excuse my lame pun) and the bullying she has to go through is raw and heartbreaking but there may be some joy or a turn of events with the arrival of Even, who sounds like the cutest marshmallow.


2.  I Love I Hate I Miss My Sister by Amélie Sarn - 2 Muslim sisters, one growing more secular and the other becoming more religious. As a Muslim myself, I really want to read about books where Muslims are represented but it's so freaking hard to find books where the Muslim teens don't just whine about their parents like 2-year-olds or obsess over their white boy crushes who don't even notice them. Surprise, surprise, but we're not all frivolous like that. This book has an authentic tragic feel and looks at real issues like how some Muslim women are mistreated for wearing a hijab and vice versa, how some Muslim women are mistreated for wearing typically Western clothing. It's pretty short but I hope it'll be beautiful.


3. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli - This is the Book Dragons' book of the month so I've already started it. I'm loving the chill writing style and the quirky characters. There are a lot of things Simon feels that I can relate to and I'm interested to see whether or not he'll ever come out as gay or just let it slide to protect his online friend from being revealed.


4. The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh - How have I not read this yet? Intelligent POC protagonist, who has POC girlfriends and deceives (and might even fall for) a POC prince? Ughughuhg I need to get my head back in the game.


5. The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler - Caribbean protagonist and female masturbation discussions, people, you do not see that every day and I just think this book is already awesome for mentioning those. But I also want to read about this mermaid world and the interracial romance, plus that cover model looks like Zendaya (whose beauty transcends time and space)  *_*


6. Written in the Stars by Aisha Saeed - Yeah, I haven't read this yet either. I officially suck. But I still need to read this no matter what because arranged marriage isn't some obscure thing I've heard happens in some far off corner of the world. It's a part of my reality since some of my cousins have been married off straight after high school because they couldn't afford to further their education. Of course, all of that is consensual but for many other girls and Naila in this book, that's not the case. Things can get suffocating and disastrous when social pressures close off all of your freedom and I hear this book explores that in a heartbreaking way.


7. Paperweight by Meg Haston - An upcoming release that deals with Stevie who's trapped in an eating-disorder treatment center and is planning suicide despite being caught up in a tight daily schedule surrounded by nurses. It also deals with loss and trauma and there was not a hint of a love interest mentioned in the blurb, which is always refreshing.


8. This Side of Home by Renée Watson - This book has gotten really little hype despite being released in February 2015 and that's kind of sad since the few reviews it does have are mostly positive. It explores the lives of twin sisters as they navigate their life through a predominantly African-American neighborhood that is suddenly being filled with new buildings and new people. From what I know, it explores themes like white privilege and the pros and cons of gentrification, all important and relevant ideas I haven't seen before in YA.


9. Of Metal and Wishes by Sarah Fine - A steampunk-dystopian-fantasy hybrid inspired by The Phantom of the Opera and involving an Asian-like race called the Itanyai and the Middle-Eastern Noors. Of course, there's also a forbidden love romance between 2 people from each race. It looks so wild and unique and actiony, I just have to read this. I also adore genre hybrids. But I warn you, a lot of reviewers were disturbed by the amount of times rape was brought into the story, so let's see how that works out eurgh.


10. Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella - Audrey's daily life is afflicted with anxiety disorder and this story shows her going on a journey to "move on" from her panic attacks and the mysterious incident that caused it all. Almost all the reviews for this have been so positive, I can't wait to read this plus Linus sounds like another cute contemporary nerd.

Know any other diverse books that I could add to my Summer TBR? And what's on your TBR this summer? Share all the lists!

26 comments:

  1. OMG most of these books are in my TBR as well. Such as Finding Audrey! I really need that book right now because I think it's something that I'm really interested to read, since it's about mental illness and all. Oh I read The Summer of Chasing Mermaids, and it's a FUN BOOK. The writing is beautiful and poetic :) Anyway, I hope you get to read it because it really lives up to the hype!

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I didn't hear about the writing of The Summer of Chasing Mermaids! Good to hear its poetic and yes, Finding Audrey sounds so interesting, I have no idea how one copes with anxiety because it's unique for everyone :O

      Delete
  2. Most of these books are on my TBR too! One of my most awaited ones is The Summer of Chasing Mermaids. I can't believe I forgot to include it on my list. The Wrath and the Dawn has been on my TBR since before the cover release. It sounds sooo good. Also, I've only read a few books by Sophie Kinsella but loved her writing style, it's so light and funny. Can't wait to see what she can do in a YA novel.
    Lovely list. :)
    Veronika @ My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeahh The Wrath and the Dawn's cover is so cool with the illustration peeking out from the design :D I've heard of Sophie Kinsella a lot, I think I even read her cutesy Shopaholic books before!

      Delete
  3. There are so any here I want to read too. Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda is one I am really going to try to get to sooner rather than later though.. Great list - Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) And yup, Simon is a hilarious story so far, though it feels kinda short!

      Delete
  4. I loved Finding Audrey, so funny but also tackled the issues really well. I cannot wait to read The Wrath and the Dawn, just trying to make some time to sneak it into my reading schedule! I've only just come across Of Metal and Wishes and I'm so excited and desperately want to read it! Great choices this week and so great to see such a diverse list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosy! Ahh I can't wait to read Finding Audrey, I didn't expect it to be funny so that's a great plus. :D

      Delete
  5. Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda and Finding Audrey are high on my list- heard so many great opinions of them :-) Lovely picks! Hope you get to read some of these :-) Here's my TTT if you would like to check it out :-) Have a great day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, nothing but positive reviews so far :D So glad Finding Audrey met everyone's expectations.

      Delete
  6. I love the look of Sugar, I do like books that don't sugar coat, they make for such raw, good reads.

    Heather @ Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, and Sugar is currently available on NetGalley so you should try and get the ebook if you can :D

      Delete
  7. I appreciate having more diversity in literature too. I really want to read The Wrath and the Dawn. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diversity in YA is really important for me since I just can't relate to a lot of American protagonists heh

      Delete
  8. I really should read more diverse books, I just never know WHAT to read! The Wrath and the Dawn is on my list this week too though! And I just added Of Metal and Wishes to my TBR! I hope you enjoy all of these!

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of Metal and Wishes seems to have such a unique plot and the sequel is being released this summer so no better time to start! I hope you enjoy your TBR too ha :D

      Delete
  9. This is one fab list, Ju!!! Many of which I hope to read eventually so I look forward to hearing your thoughts on them! Some other diverse books I've heard but haven't read yet are Ari and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, Under a Painted Sky and Made You Up. Have you heard of em?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I just recently read Ari and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe and ahhh it was a beautiful journey of a book :"D This is the first time I heard of Under A Painted Sky but the friendship in it sounds heartwrenching!

      Delete
  10. I love how you approached the prompt! There are so many good-sounding diverse titles coming out this year that I am having trouble keeping up :) Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens made my heart happy; it was not only well-written, but super cute as well. I just finished Written in the Stars the other day, and I found it absolutely heart-breaking. It was such an eye-opening debut. You have several other titles I want to read this summer, including The Wrath and the Dawn, This Side of Home, and Finding Audrey - here's hoping I can grab copies of each!

    Bella
    chicandpetite.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens and omg yesss it made me so happy and I love how realistic it is! The story could have happened to anyone *_* Hope you get to read the others as well!

      Delete
  11. Theres soo many good books on your list! I own Sugar and Paperweight too, they both sound really realistic reads that I cannot wait to dive into soon.. Written In The Stars was really good as well, but it's too fast paced which is surprising for a contemporary novel. Finding Audrey and Simon's both were amazing - Hope you enjoy these reads and Happy reading :) I think you should also check out Broken Skies by Theresa Kay, and Immaculate by Katelyn Detweiler <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep forgetting that Written In The Stars is a contemporary because the cover makes it look like a fantasy or historical novel oops! I don't see how Broken Skies is diverse but it sounds interesting...? Well, there are aliens lol

      Delete
  12. OMG, your list is amazing! There are so many books I'm going to add to my TBR list thanks to you. The Side of Home, The Summer of Chasing Mermaid, I love I Hate and I Miss my Sister and Written in the Star especially caught my attention. It's so rare to find protagonist that aren't white and Christian I'm always glad when I find some that aren't. We really need more diversity in books. Great post Ju!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you discovered new titles! :D I'm also so glad that POC characters aren't just randomly included in books now but actually represented with their cultural backgrounds and lifestyles. It always seemed pointless to me to include a POC character who completely acts like a white person because that's rarely true.

      Delete
  13. GAAAH GIVE ME ALL THE BOOKS *grabby hands* Seriously, this is such a great list and now I have some things to add to my TBR. I Love I Hate I Miss My Sister just got added in GR, and a lot of others I've been eyeing for so long. Also, when you highlight the books like this it's so much easier to see the diversity in them! Like, I'd heard that Of Metal and Wishes had diversity and it has a great cover to showcase that as well, but wow your description made me so excited! Thanks for such a great list!
    - Lina @ Every Book a World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I'm glad I could show you some new books :"D Of Metal and Wishes is such a bizarre mesh of everything but I saw a couple of quotes about the cultures and it really was so striking how much diversity there was!

      Delete