Tuesday, 2 June 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Love To See As Movies/TV Shows


"Top Ten Tuesday" is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
I love this topic because I'm TV show trash and I do love an emotional cinematic movie now and then but we have to consider the inescapable fact that Hollywood gets almost nothing right. Even Harry Potter, which is probably my favorite series adaptation ever, missed out on important aspects like Hermione's S.P.E.W. and the Marauder's Map origins. Plus, let's be real, movie-Ginny Weasley is the complete opposite of book-Ginny Weasley and y'all know it.

Yet, despite all these minor changes, I still adored the franchise and I've wanted something of that caliber to fill the hole it left in my heart but The Hunger Games and Divergent and The Maze Runner weren't quite as...memorable *completely ignores the other unsuccessful adaptations oops*. They were enjoyable but I know I definitely wouldn't sit down and rewatch them in one huge marathon like I do with The Lord of the Rings so what book series do I think can become amazing adaptations if the producers give it their all?


1. Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - WHY has this movie been in Development Hell since forever? It has solid action, interesting fantasy/sci-fi lore and such a badass protagonist.


2. Gone by Michael Grant - There's been a Sony deal for this diverse 6-book series to become a TV show and I hope they hurry it up because considering how popular The CW's "The 100" has become, I'm more than certain that Gone has the potential to be twice as popular since it has less of the cheese and more of the "what-the-actual-heck-are-you-doing-to-these-poor-innocent-children".


3. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman - Also another movie stuck in Development Hell but I can already picture a gothic Tim Burton-esque stylized movie and I can't wait.


4. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - Okay, I wasn't a fan of the book but that's because everything was description so how gorgeous would all that unique circus description look on screen? A feast for the eyes for sure but they'll have to contrive a more solid plot because the book really lacked one.


5. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi - No matter what, do not let this trilogy be adapted into 3 movies! It has barely enough material to stretch across 3 books yet alone 3 movies, oh the slow horror. But a single long movie of this series would be amazing! We'd see all of Juliette's character development and all of Kenji's awesome lines in one whole sitting and Warner's sudden Heel-Face Turn will become more obvious to the public.


6. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller - Someone please immortalize my gay dorky heroes onto the big screen, emphasis on gay and dorky.


7. The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer - *goes to the cinema to see unnecessary Cinderella live action remake and angrily stares at screen and imagines it as Cinder's story instead*


8. The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater - Like the Shatter Me series, I think The Raven Cycle would be best as one single suspenseful movie full of private school nerds and a spunky heroine and the search for a dead wish-granting king.


9. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins - THIS WOULD BE SO CUTE I'D DIE. Romantic movies with just the right amount of cheese, the right amount of humor and the right amount of adventure are rare to come by so someone please adapt this book already.


10. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell - Like the book above, this would be so cute but they could also add to the darker tones of Eleanor's home problems and the gender expectations going on in Park's family. Those aspects were pretty vague in the books for me so I kinda want to see how it all happens and why.

So that's all for my list! Do you guys want to stop any of these from ever happening like I would do anything in my power to protect The Infernal Devices from Hollywood? Speak now or forever hold your peace.

30 comments:

  1. I'd love to see Artemis Fowl on screen! I'd always wondered why it already wasn't a movie. I mean, it's action packed, the main character is a guy and let's be real - male leads typically sell better than female leads when it comes to movies. It seems like movie gold, but eh..
    The only other thing on your list I've actually read is Gone, but only just that first one and not the whole series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "male leads typically sell better than female leads when it comes to movies" this is sad but also statistically true but hopefully going to change in the coming years :(

      But Artemis Fowl is also not your typical action hero because he's intelligent as heck and I don't think Hollywood emphasizes the coolness of being a SMART action hero quite often.

      Delete
  2. I agree with what you said about Shatter Me! The books are a bit too slow for a movie, and though I don't mind slow paced books, I'd be bored out of mind if I watch a slow paced movie. And I'd love to see Kenji on screen. AND WARNER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books are reeeally slow but strangely very easy and fast to read so I don't even understand haha. I think it's just that there's barely anything that goes on.

      I mean what even happened in Unravel Me? Juliette lives with rebels. Something's wrong with Adam. Juliette is bad at socialization. Kenji is a smartass but also a cute baby orphan that needs to be protected. Warner walks in. Chapter 62. Something goes kaboom as Juliette meets Anderson. Then "band-aids don't fix bullet holes". That's the whole plot of Book 2 omg

      But if the whole trilogy was in 1 movie, it would be so action-packed~ And I don't really like Warner but maybe if they do his development well...um...but then again, he mentally tortured an unstable Juliette so nah. I probably still won't like him sorry (not sorry)!

      Delete
  3. I agree about Shatter Me, it would make a good show than a movie because it's quite slow. I do wish there was more action in the books though. Great picks overall <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how they could stretch Shatter Me into a show but yes, it is slow :/ And the chance to have one epic battle in the last book was just rushed over :(

      Delete
  4. I also had Anna and the French Kiss. I forgot about Eleanor and Park!!! They would both make cute movies - Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, there needs to be more cute contemporary movies about teens that don't just revolve around being popular in highschool!

      Delete
  5. I also want to see The Night Circus on screen! I'm not one for liking tons of description in books, but The Night Circus was an amazing, vivid read. I would love to see the circus physically rendered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! The descriptions of the feasts were so bizarre as well as the circus acts *_*

      Delete
  6. Hi!! :D
    I haven't read the Gone series but I really REALLY want to!!!
    Hopefully I'll get to it! *-*

    Ps. I have a blog as well, if you'd like to check it out :3
    http://frannieinthepages.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should before the TV show comes out (and that'll be NEVER so you have plenty of time lol)!

      Thanks for checking out my blog!

      Delete
  7. Shatter Me, Cinder and Gone all have such amazing characters and action sequences - I definitely agree they'd do amazing as movies or TV shows. Thanks for sharing and great choices! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinder's futuristic action scenes *_* And Gone has a lot of moments of slowness between actiony scenes so hopefully the TV show will make things more evenly spaced and interesting for people who had difficulty reading the book!

      Delete
  8. Artemis Fowl made my list too this week. Maybe one day we'll have news... it would make a great movie (fairies! juvenile criminal masterminds! technology!)

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So unique too! I don't know why Hollywood is remaking Jurassic Park when we have material like this to adapt -_-

      Delete
  9. ALL OF THESE. I WANT ALL OF THESE QUITE BADLY. Yesss to Anna!! I never even though of that one, but it'd be so adorably romantic and Paris. Also yes and yes and yes to Shatter Me. And TIM BURTON NEEDS TO DO THE GRAVEYARD BOOK. THAT WOULD BE INCREDIBLE.
    Someone make this happen.
    Now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WOULDN'T EVEN MIND IF THE GRAVEYARD BOOK WAS ANIMATED. ACTUALLY, THAT WOULD BE REALLY AWESOME *_*

      Delete
  10. I LOVE your reasons for wanting Shatter Me to become a movie. ;) People will finally see the insanity that is Warner's unrealistic change of heart, haha. And yes please to Kenji. <3

    I actually did like the Cinderella movie... But one of Cinder would be a thousand times better. And then Scarlet & Cress would be ten thousand times better because Wolf/Scarlet and Captain Thorne! <3

    I didn't love The Raven Boys as a book, but I'm positive that I'm going to love it as a movie. :) I loved the plot but the writing style wasn't for me, and since I didn't have to *read* in a movie... Yup. Good idea.

    Fabulous picks, Ju!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhh, we don't speak of Warner's spontaneous development. It was too horrifying the first time! Not even reading Unravel Me beforehand could make things any more believable for me.

      The Cinderella movie was fine (the costumes were just *_*) but I would have loved something new instead.

      The Raven Boys becoming a successful movie depends 90% on how well the boys are casted and then we shall know the answers to all.

      Delete
  11. I'm kind of ashamed to admit this but I still haven't read anything by Neil Gaiman, he seems like a "must-read" author for avid readers. The Lunar Chronicles, The Ravey Cycle and Anna and the French Kiss all made my list. Imagine how hot the actor who played Étienne would be. Aww, I want to see this soo much!
    Lovely list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil Gaiman books are art! I've only read 2 probably but I loved every single word in them so do give it a try :")

      Delete
  12. *grins* I'd like to protect all books from Hollywood... unless you're The Hunger Games. Then maybe I'll let Hollywood take a stab. Problem is, Hollywood took a fantastic stab at that already.

    Anyhoo, I haven't actually read any of the books that you listed, aside from Gone, but I apparently abandoned that for some reason halfway through the series. o_o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pick up the Gone series again one day or another, you won't regret it :) Unless you hated the first few books, then you probably will hate my guts lol

      Delete
  13. Ahhh - Anna and the French Kiss, definitely. The book was adorable and well-written, I can only imagine how wonderful a movie adaptation would be if done right. Great list, Ju! Love the blog.

    Julia Anne @ Peach Print

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Julia! I love your header though *_* so gorgeous! And yes, I need an Anna and the French Kiss complete with perfect soundtrack!

      Delete
  14. A Tim Burton type The Graveyard Book would be fantastic. I can picture it too. I hope it's finally made some day!

    Cayt @ Vicarious Caytastrophe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even an animated version would so perfect! And I expect an equally spooky soundtrack ;)

      Delete
  15. The Gone series would make a great TV show, I didn't know a studio had the rights to it! You're right though, it could be a careful balance between cheesy/bad side effects etc. and how great it really could be. I think it might need a more mature rating, actually, and I hope that wouldn't stop them from doing it right.

    And I'm actually surprised that Anna and the French Kiss isn't already a movie! I also think that Hollywood is pretty experienced at making this kind of rom-com, so I think that the movie would probably be pretty promising. :)
    -Lina @ Every Book a World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They plan to age up the characters for the Gone TV show and although it's not something I prefer I get that a lot of people wouldn't want child actors doing that stuff. I agree it would probably still need a mature rating.

      Someone needs to hurry with Anna and the French Kiss! IF YOU CAN MAKE A NEW JURASSIC PARK MOVIE YOU CAN SURE AS HELL MAKE THIS CUTESY ROMCOM

      Delete