Tuesday, 30 June 2015

Top Ten Books I've Read So Far In 2015


"Top Ten Tuesday" is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Well, this was a hard one because I'm the slowest reader in the world these days (or I have way too many distractions) and I've only read 29 books this year. Just. 29. And my Goodreads goal is 80, wOAH, okay, I need to step up the pace a LOT. I still ended up liking most of the books I read this year, so that's always a plus, but off the top of my head I wonder if I can even come up with many favorites...



1. Fuel the Fire (Calloway Sisters #3) by Krista and Becca Ritchie (★ ★ ★ ★ ★) - Easily the book that resonated with me the most. I had tears everywhere but watching my OTP overcome it all was worth it.



2. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (★ ★ ★ ★ ★) - The most beautiful thing I've ever read. I felt all the feelings while reading this book because I connected to the characters so much, even if it took me a while to get there.


3. Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer (★ ★ ★ ★ ★) - The best Lunar Chronicles novel to date, and yes, I absolutely adored Thorne and reminder that IKO GETS HOT.


4. Saga, Volume 4 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (★ ★ ★ ★ ★) - I love everything about this whole series so this shouldn't be a surprise. This volume was full of everyone's OTP getting torn apart but I have hope that something will happen to save everyone?? It has to¿¿


5. Trouble by Non Pratt  (★ ★ ★ ★ ✩) - I ended up liking this more than most people because it was so honest and raw and disturbing. But that ending was so abrupt, it was one of those endings where you turn the last page and go all, "wait...what, no, wHAT".


6. Never Never (Never Never #1) by Colleen Hoover (★ ★ ★ ★ ✩) - What a mysterious, thrilling novella this was. The beginning was kind of slow but then it beat all my expectations out of the water.


7. Tangled (Tangled #1) by Emma Chase (★ ★ ★ ★ ✩) - I did not expect to like this as much as I did, especially when Drew was being such a misogynistic dick, but he acknowledges he's an asshole?? And somehow watching him fail at love was hilarious?? I don't even know but it was so entertaining.


8. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli (★ ★ ★ ★ ✩) - Cute and such easy writing to get into, this is the #1 emergency reading slump medication.


9. Captive Prince: Volume One (Captive Prince #1) by C.S. Pacat (★ ★ ★ ★ ✩) - The world and the cultures were so disturbing and gross but I couldn't stop wondering how it all came to be and the 2 main characters are intense. They hate each other but when shit hits the fan, they always end up being each other's only allies. The secondary characters were also so freaking devious, I could not trust anyone. Still very graphic and adult though so watch out.


10. A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses #1) by Sarah J. Maas (★ ★ ★ ✩ ✩) - I still regret giving this 3 stars because the exciting buzz of the ending still hasn't worn off. Basically, 3 stars is the absolute worse as it could possibly ever get because I enjoyed this a lot after the slow moments were gone.

Huh, I actually came up with 10. That's surprising because I tend to reluctantly call books my favorites but this was a good year so far. Recognize any books up there? And how has 2015 been for you? Don't forget to leave links to your Top Ten Tuesday too! 



35 comments:

  1. I haven't had the chance to do as much reading as I would have liked to this year either! Last semester of college kept me way too busy. I'm hoping to get to Aristotle and Dante this summer, because I have heard nothing but great things about it.
    Thanks for stopping by the The Local Muse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about college, it's so life-overtaking :/ Aristotle and Dante was such an emotional journey, not exactly plot-driven, but very character-examining.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only been able to read 18 books this year with a goal of 52 books, so I definitely feel your pain! I haven't read any of these yet, but I'm hoping to start the Lunar Chronicles soon so I can see what all the hype is about.

    Precious @ Clockwork Desires

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope we make it to our goals! We still have the rest of the summer I think so we can DO this *thumbs up*

      Delete
  4. Nice list of books!! Thanks for sharing your favorite reads of the year so far with us!! I have some new to me titles to check out and potentially add to my ever growing reading wishlist!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for the week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/06/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-ive-read.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you encounter some new favorites :)

      Delete
  5. I adored Aristotle and Dante !! Such a beautiful book. Never Never was very cool and I hope the third installment finishes up the story nicely. Simon and the Homo Sapians Agenda is one I really want to get to. Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to get around to reading Never, Never Part 2, I don't know what's taking me so long >.< That cliffhanger made me wary of everything!

      Delete
  6. Great list. I really want to check out Never Never as well as Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda. It sounds excellent!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon is fun and light, especially if you're having a bad or exhausting day! You barely have to put in effort to read it. :)

      Delete
  7. I've heard lots of things about A Court of Thorn and Roses - still need to read Throne of Glass! I still have my copy of Cinder... stuffed in a box (I promise it's being treated with the utmost care).

    Fabulous list, Juwairiya! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look after my angel Cinder please! Haha jk it's a good book but easily the weakest in the series. But you still need it to start off :)

      Delete
  8. Ohh, I probably feel the same way about ACOTAR as you!! I gave it 4 but I think I was too in love with the thought of the book...the entire book was rather disappointing for me. (I'm a wild and rabid fan of Throne of Glass though. xD) AHHH ARI AND DANTE. AJFKDLSA They are so adorable adn that entire book is just quotable and beautiful. It was a bit slow at the beginning though, but it basically just faceplanted into my soul as treasured book of beautifulness.
    I will forever love ALL the Marissa Meyer books. I think they've all got solid 5-stars from me now. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhh, the high expectations i had for ACOTAR destroyed me but it was still a blast in the end. Hopefully, the second book starts off in the same pacing and doesn't repeat the slow spell.

      I remember being so frustrated with Ari in the beginning of Aristotle & Dante and I was just like "WHY YOU SO INCONSISTENT" but I turned out to connect to him so much later on, someone might as well have sewed our hearts together. Okay, that was a creepy analogy but I felt everything he felt lol

      Delete
  9. YAYY FOR CRESSSSSS. I love that book and I agree that it's currently the best of the installments. So stoked for Winter! ^^ Nice list, Ju! Every one has been recommending Simon and ACOTAR I wonder if I should read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I feel like Marissa Meyer's writing improves with each book so Winter will be mind-blowing :D definitely read Simon, that book is so easy to read, you can finish it in a day or 2. ACOTAR might take a while because it has a slow beginning.

      Delete
  10. I've read Cress last year but it made all my favorite lists at the end of the year! This series is definitely one of those that gets better with every new book. That is, not counting Fairest, bc I've only rated it four stars but that was more thanks to Levana's craziness than the writing or plot. I can't wait to read Never Never! I haven't read any books by the author, yet, (I know I'm horrible) but this sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to read Fairest but I hear a lot of people still hate Levana's guts. I hope she ends up being like Cersei to me (slightly redeemable) but I doubt that'll happen.

      Delete
  11. FUEL THE FIRE FOR THE WIN. <3 I was smirking and bawling my eyeballs out throughout the whole book! The Lunar Chronicles books just keep getting better and better! :) I can't wait to see how amazing Winter will be! <3 So glad Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda made it to your list! ^_^ I agree with your thoughts on ACOTAR too.

    Aimee @ Deadly Darlings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, CONNOR AND ROSE IN FTF WERE SO HILARIOUS AND THEN SUDDENLY, THEY KILLED ME WITH EMOTIONS. Marissa Meyer's writing improves with each Lunar Chronicle book, I'll probably end up building a shrine for Winter.

      Delete
  12. Ahhh Fuel the Fire was SO good!! Bittersweet too though because of the end ;( I loved ACOTAR and Cress too :) I NEED WINTER SOON :)

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bittersweet indeed, and Daisy my precious angel, I can't believe what happened to her! I was so sickened ugh I hope we see a snippet of whatshisname go to prison for life in the next book.

      Delete
  13. I NEED to read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secret of the Universe!!! Yours is just the millionth good review of it I've seen. And I also enjoyed ACOTAR but despised the slow parts... Where's the action? The danger? But still a great book, because I also put it on my list. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ayyyy, the action and danger only came later which is sad. This was the exact same problem I had with Throne of Glass. I think it just takes Sarah J. Maas a while to set up the story :)

      Delete
  14. I read Cress as well, somewhere around 3 weeks ago or something. SO BEAUTIFUL :'D I'm excited for Winter because I need to know what happens next to the team! AGH. Also, so glad you loved Ari + Dante! :) I'm a little curious about that one. Great post Ju! <3

    Jillian @ Jillians' Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jillian! Exactly, and I also need to know if my ships make it or sink ;__; And Cinder, my tough momma, I hope she makes it to her happy ending. Ari & Dante is beautiful throughout, the writing and the character development and the friendship, all beautiful :D

      Delete
  15. I read the Lunar Chronicles only this year and I loved all the three books. I can't waiiit for Winter! I just love all of them- they are each special in their own way. Love the post :)
    Ruzaika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I still appreciate Cinder for introducing me to Cinder. She's my favorite character because I don't know why, I see her as a strong mother of 8 children xD

      Delete
  16. I was on the same page with A Court of Thorns and Roses!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I think this happened in Throne of Glass too. I guess the world and characters need to be set up in Sarah J. Maas' books before things get serious.

      Delete
  17. I really liked the Never, Never series as well - I'm with you about A Court of Thorns and Roses, I think it's a beautiful read but there so many flaws that bother me! :( I have yet to read the Calloway Sisters, I loved the Addicted To You series, it was really unique. Awesome list :D <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Calloway Sisters omyhlordd you'll love the side character ships Coballoway and Raisy! They're so adorable and snarky and they feature the cute LiLo ship a lot as well. The whole Addicted gang are a package deal, one cannot happen without the other 5 characters! :"D

      Delete
  18. I really need to read Cress! I read Cinder and Scarlet a year ago, and only when I took up Cress a few days ago, did I realize that I've forgotten most of the things that happened in the previous books! So I am rereading Cinder and Scarlet all over again, and I hope to get to Cress soon. I am looking forward to read more about Thorne! He's adorable:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! So much happened in Scarlet that I think I've forgotten some parts 0_0 Luckily, I was more awake when I was reading Cress so I remember a lot of it. If you're ever in a hurry for a quick recap then there are always spoilerific reviews on Goodreads (never thought I'd ever say that). Thorne only gets more swoon-worthy although he goes through something really painful in Cress :(

      Delete