Tuesday, 26 May 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books For Your Summer Starter Pack


"Top Ten Tuesday" is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

I barely go to the beach because I am a vampire/demon/thick-curtains-at-all-times-tyrant so I have no idea what qualifies as a good beach read. But I do like reading summery books in the summer. I mean, we all want to vicariously experience cute, romantic adventures while being rolled up in a blanket burrito, right? Or maybe that's just me. Either way, here's me inconspicuously bending around the topic of the week and giving you some summery books that I have read or hope to get to ~


1. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins - The ultimate summery/spring book. It must be in your "fun summer starter pack" or you're doing it wrong. There is a hot English/French/American history nerd who is also a shortie, "arghhh when will they get together" feels and a lovable, spunky heroine that blogs about films. What's not to love?


2. Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson - I confess that I've never gone on a single road trip in all of my 18 years of breathing. I feel like I'm missing out on a huge musical experience but the problem is that if you drive for 2 hours in Qatar, then you'll be (a) driving into the ocean or (b) illegally trespassing into another country. But maybe if I find myself in Canada again, my daredevil friends can drag me onto an unforgettable road trip. Until then, I'll be preparing by reading this book.


3. To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
You: Hoe, don't do it. *brandishes shiny knife*
Me: I STILL HAVEN'T READ THIS BOOK I'M SORRY #forgiveju2k15
You: omygod #ripju


4. Paper Towns by John Green - Yes, this book was an irksome experience for me because of the 2 main characters but the road trip part of the story (roughly the last quarter I think) was so hilarious and fun and reminded me that I'm 18 and young, not an old depressed corpse. The friendships are "friendship goals" in this part and I know this is one of the main reasons why I can't wait to see the movie adaptation. I mean, traveling naked under your graduation robes and pissing in bottles! What could go wrong?


5. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart - I know nothing about this book except that it's about rich people and secrets. I don't know why that strikes me as summery but it can never hurt to read something a little mysterious when the only intense thing about your life is whether you should have pancakes or waffles for breakfast.



6. Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson - Daring your friend to do things they'd never usually do? Count me in because that's basically the relationship I have with my friends. They're the daredevils that never give up on bringing out my inner Beyonce and I'm the nagging mother goose that has extra bandages and Always pads in her handbag just in case of the zombie apocalypse. I think friendships like that are really beautiful.


7. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver - Come to think of it, this is a pretty depressing book but it's also emotional and beautiful and, once again, deals with something that's close to my heart: friendship. It's a summery read that you crave when you're feeling emo but not too emo to read a dystopia.


8. My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick - I love books about family because my family is hella loud and annoying and awesome on hot summer days and things are absolutely chaotic if I travel to Pakistan and spend the summer with my extended family. There's always someone getting married, someone flipping a table and some "scandalous" young adult cousins having secret dance parties. I love all of that havoc so I can't wait to read about an outsider being swept into the madness of the Garretts family.


9. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell - This is a really "mellow" book. It's a slow-mo slice of life story about 2 teens bonding over music, comics and awkwardness. It's heart-warming but that ending is still the most frustrating thing in existence.


10. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson - I hear this book is a passionate book about twins and each of their romance and life. The writing is supposed to be amazing and I've only read a few chapters and must agree to that! It has that same style as The Raven Boys where you describe so many things in just one sentence and yet, it doesn't feel like an infodump at all. More like the words were meant to be.

So in the end, your summer starter pack will be full of diverse contemporary books for all the heated summery moments! You can cry behind an emo book if your ice cream falls flat onto the sand or you can read about cutesy romance if your partner is too busy taking beach selfies of themselves or you can contemplate life with a deep book as you stare off at the endless skies ;)

20 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw your list I thought "How could I forget Anna and the french kis?! HOW?" I've read some of the things on your list and I loved them all! Great picks!

    My TTT: http://simplybookishthings.blogspot.com/2015/05/top-ten-tuesday-5-top-ten-beach-reads.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always have a bonus or "mandatory" section ;) Thanks for visiting ~

      Delete
  2. Great picks here! I loved Paper Towns and Eleanor & Park :-) I still need to read I'll Give You The Sun! Thanks for sharing these :-) I'm a new follower, so hiya! :-) Here's my TTT if you would like to check it out! Have a great day :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emma! Thanks for visiting and I'm glad you liked Paper Towns heh the movie will be a blast hopefully ^^

      Delete
  3. Yes, rich people + secrets = summer. Sounds right to me.

    Here's mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha idk where I got that logic from but maybe it's the cover of We Were Liars ;)

      Delete
  4. Before I Fall was on my list this week too. I'm not really much of a seasonal reader, I read whatever I am currently interested in/have in my shelves yet to read no matter what the season.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/top-ten-tuesday-6/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually read according to the mood too but then the weather affects my mood a lot ;)

      Delete
  5. I'd love to read I'll Give You the Sun! So many raving reviews for that one alone. Also heard it was pretty intense and gives waves and waves of feels! Plus, writing like that makes me want to dance :) It's the kind I'd love to read out loud to savor the atmosphere and everything more.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss, there's writing like this that's so lyrical but isn't purple prose. If that kind of writing was food, it would be a feast (if that even makes sense lol)

      Delete
  6. Such an awesome list and so full of so much awesome summer goodness. I love your choices, they are the perfect summer reads!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in this summer mode where the fans are on and the crickets are buzzing and the heat waves are blazing ;)

      Delete
  7. I really love Anna and the French Kiss, not more than Lola and the Boy Next Door but it'd definitely made a great beach read. Since You've Been Gone was a pretty adorable book, I found it a bit too long but that might have been because when I first read it I didn't really enjoy it. We Were Liars is definitely my favorite from your list. While it's not very light or happy it's definitely a book I think everyone who's a tiny bit interested should read.
    I can't wait to read My Life Next Door, it sounds like such an amazing read. I love books about huge and loving families, I think because I'm barely in touch with my siblings, besides the ones who I'm closely related to.
    Lovely list. :)
    Veronika @ My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried reading the ebook of Since You've Been Gone but I just couldn't get into it so I'm gonna go get me the beautiful hardback! The not-so-lightness of We Were Liars is creeping me out aha this book and its mysterious secrets :)

      Delete
  8. I have almost all of these on my own TBR, some of them already bought and hanging out on my shelves in my towering TBR pile. Happy summer reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome and same, most of these are on my TBR! Happy summer reading fun to you too :")

      Delete
  9. I have read most of these books, To All The Boys I've Loved Before was really cute though! You should so check it out soon - Happy summer reading though, I look forward to reading your reviews. <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I need to read To All The Boys I've Loved Before and then get onto PS I Still Love You! :D

      Delete
  10. WOAH DUDE, you have SOOOO much to look forward to! Since You've Been Gone is amazing, and so is My Life Next Door - there's a lot more depth to it than you'd expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, really? :"D My Life Next Door looks cheesy by the cover but the blurb does hint at something deeper so I can't wait to get to it!

      Delete