Wednesday, 13 May 2015

Review: The Heir by Kiera Cass


Title: The Heir (The Selection #4)
Author: Kiera Cass
Genre(s): Dystopia, Romance
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: May 5, 2015
Date Read:  May 11, 2015
Buy This Book: Amazon | Book Depository
My Rating: ★★★✩✩
Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.

 I really wanted to adore the heck out of this book but it just couldn't sweep me off my feet since almost nothing happened.

The Selection had occasional bursts of faceless rebels invading the palace but The Heir didn't have any of that or any other form of action. There is some vague tension conveyed by Maxon's tiredness in running a country as well as some news of angry citizens burning buildings but apart from that, there's nothing to make you feel excited/scared/depressed. There were a few moments where things suddenly went crazy, like the Selected boys suddenly getting into a fight or one creepy ass Selected guy becoming really masochistically creepy, but those moments were so abrupt and barely built up to so I didn't really care once it was all settled.

The actual Selection, which was made up of 35 boys competing for Princess Eadlyn's hand, was pretty boring at times too. Some of the boys were adorable like Henri, Erik, Hale, etc. and a few of the boys already look like they would 110% make it to the last novel but there were other boys who were so obviously unimportant and faded into the background. In fact, even the ones that were important were barely distinguishable. They're all nice guys and that's great but I don't feel the chemistry from any of them. Or maybe I just have a thing for hot, devilishly adventurous guys.


There were more things I liked though. Our to-be-queen, Eadlyn, is way more decisive and opinionated than America ever was and it obviously has a lot to do with her royal upbringing since she can be bratty and offensive too. However, people called Eadlyn out on her shortcomings and she reflected on them. She was no perfect, ever-loved Mary Sue but that's what made her more interesting than bland, selfless America. I was rooting for Eadlyn to change. I also really loved her relationship with Maxon and her twin brother, Ahren. Although she could be whiny and selfish when it came to them, they both still supported her, teased her and never doubted her independence.

In the end, this book was a fun, short read but it wasn't remarkable. You could stop reading the series after The One and still not miss anything important. For once in my life, I actually want the drama. I felt like there could have been so much more angst since the characters did have some unsettlement between each other but it was only alluded to, instead of being played out. The story's being drawn out into another trilogy (duology?) and that kind of sucks since the length is killing all the tension in what could have otherwise been an emotional rollercoaster. I'm just left feeling half-happy, half-unimpressed:

The 2 sides of me right now.

3 clouds for headstrong heroine, daddy Maxon and just general enjoyment.


8 comments:

  1. I thought this series would only be contained in 3 books but looks like I was wrong! It's really too bad that this book is supposed to feature 35 contestants but only really highlights like 5 of them. I mean, why make the number that big if the rest wouldn't even be introduced properly, right?! That doesn't make much sense. I really would prefer a small number but at least we'd know all of them. Although if all of them have the same personality, then what's the use...? HAHA

    I won't be reading this that's for sure.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha everyone was shocked by this book's creation! And yes, it is a shame that the boys are so similar. Out of the main ones, I can remember that one can't speak English, one is a childhood best friend, one is pretty good at fashion and one is overwhelmingly confident. And I think there was a ginger fisherman although I'm not sure. But the rest of the boys have already slipped from my mind haha!

      You could read it because it's a pretty short, fun read but I hear a lot of people hated Eadlyn for her selfishness.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, that first gif-I'm dying! xD I read the first three books and while I had a whole array of issues with them, I still found them to have that fun factor. This one doesn't seem like it has that, especially if the romance is so unremarkable. "I don't feel the chemistry from any of them." If I can't get remind the romance I really can't get behind the book 100%. Like 35 guys and not a single one of them are really all that great? That's definitely going to be an issue for me. I may just get this from the library then. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could use that first gif for everything haha. I think the whole Selection series is about the fun factor but yup, borrow this one from the library because I don't feel no fire! There is one boy that can't speak English and is really cute but Eadlyn just sees him as a cute puppy that she needs to protect so I don't see her falling in love with him /sobs/

      And there's also a guy she makes out with a lot but it happens so fast and I don't know, I didn't feel like they thought about each other while they kissed, more like they kissed just because they wanted to kiss someone :/

      Delete
  3. Shoot me because I haven't read The Selection yet, and my physical copy is literally shaking its head at me from the top of my shelf, lol. Sucks this didn't go as you expected. I would feel disappointed too. :/ Anyways, great review, Ju! :D

    Blessie @ Mischievous Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. /shoots/
      /with sparkle gun/ ;)

      Thanks Blessie and lol the Selection is good fun so do pick it up when you're bored in the bus or something!

      Delete
  4. Aah, I actually hated this book lol :( I'm glad to see a similiar review! The book was just so boring for me and the heroine was quite immature and stupid. I liked the love interests Henri and Erik as well, I do wish there was more action to the novel though. I think America's series was waay better though. Are you going to pick up the next installment in the series ? <3 Benish| Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tension-less when there could have been so much more emotional drama :( Haha I didn't like America at all although Maxon definitely hosted a more interesting Selection! And I think Eadlyn was purposely made immature so she could grow up in the next books but I don't think I'll be sticking around to see her develop unless the next book gets raving reviews :/

      Delete