Thursday, 14 May 2015

Ju Recommends: 7 Books to Read When You're Sick


I've been plagued with summer colds ever since I got off college but only recently they've taken a turn for the worse and busted into fevers.


It's a huge nuisance because:

(a) I now have the attention span of a fruit fly.

(b) Who invited you to the party, Headaches and Sluggishness?

(c) If I sleep any more, I'll morph into Sleeping Beauty.

(d) I can't rely on my favorite TV shows because the screen is too bright and the background music is too loud and why the heck is that guy coming back to life again?

(e) Air? Never heard of it. All I've ever known of is Augmentin and Kleenex.

So basically, I can't focus on anything, my head is about to explode and I do not have the strength to deal with complex, political strife. But I still want need to read. The problem is that anything like A Game of Thrones is going to end up being thrown against the wall.

In these dark times, what are the perfect bookish companions?



1. Saga by Brian K. Vaughan
Go ahead and read the entire series because not only are they graphic novels (less words = less concentration), the artwork that Fiona Staples created is magnificently detailed and colorful but not too colorful and it possesses your fingers with the need to turn the pages. The characters and the world are lovable in their own whacky ways and this series is a lot like a sci-fi Game of Thrones with more madness and less court intrigue.


2. One Man Guy by Michael Barakiva
This is a short fun story about a boy coming to terms with his sexuality, his Armenian heritage and his awkwardness. I just wish it was a bit longer because the ending wrapped up pretty fast.


3. Ask Again Later by Liz Czukas
This book requires zero thinking whatsoever and is highly predictable but also very, very fun. This is hugely because of how funny and lovable the main character is but the side characters get a lot of attention too and although the parallel worlds thing is a bit confusing, the story is easy to read and easy to enjoy. Cute fluff at its best.


4. Sins & Needles by Karina Halle
This is a dark (but not depressing), tension-filled adult book centered around 2 characters that I keep thinking of as Disney's Hades and Maleficent taken to the extreme. They are problematic, bitter and I really wanted them to survive and not kill each other as they run for their life from a determined drug lord. I also wanted them to fall in love but they were too busy pointing guns at each other.


5. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
I can't say that the entire series *side-eyes Blood Promise* is addicting and hella fast-paced but I flew through the first 3 books in a single week. The story is filled with action, a new take on vampires and hilarious, witty comebacks. Plus, there's also sexy couples.


6. Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer
Like Ask Again Later, this book is cute fluff with a more bigger focus on female friendship. It's not as predictable in the romance department and features nerdy girls who are highly relatable. I finished this in one sitting in a 5 hour flight.


7. Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke
I read this when I had chicken pox in the 3rd grade and for some reason, I couldn't put it down despite that fact that it's 400+ pages, I had a 103 degrees Celsius fever back then and my body was covered in itchy spots. It's writing is beautiful and the fairytale lore behind the dragons is fun to explore. There's also a lot of travelling and since I was stuck in a room for weeks, I enjoyed traveling vicariously through these characters. It worked out well for me but it might not for some people if they aren't a fan of journeys.

I hope these books will help keep you company when you're cursing bacteria or your lazy immune system and I'd love to hear of any other books that helped you get through a summer cold!


14 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I hope you feel better soon, Ju! Colds are THE WORST. And fevers? *shudders* You're in my thoughts, girl.

    I've been seeing Saga everywhere, and I'm wondering why I've never read it yet! The art does look colorful and very quirky. :) I totally agree with you when it comes to Ask Again Later! Such a fun and light read--no need to use your brains! And Vampire Academy! Blood Promise was insane, though.

    Thanks for sharing, lovely! Like I said, get well soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aimee!

      Saga is what got me into graphic novels, like actually hunting for something similar because the releases for new volumes take forever! It's madness but once you get used to that fact, the characters and the story touch your feels, even characters that look like villains end up having their good spots.

      Delete
  2. It's nice to see someone else who reads LGBT books! :D Sadly, I did not enjoy One Man Guy (primarily because of the love interest). But have you read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda or Know Not Why? Those are great reads, too! Nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, I felt like we needed to get to know Ethan some more.

      Omg I just finished "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" and I love how Ari and Dante are developed as their own people first before the romance starts getting discovered but I would have really loved an epilogue or something to see them be a cute couple together ahh

      Delete
  3. I hope you feel better girl! I ended up with a sinus infection about 3 weeks ago, and I literally couldn't do ANYTHING! Well okay, I did binge watch Season 1 of Game Of Thrones, but we won't get into that! I've been wanting to pick up Saga for soooo long, and I seriously don't know why I haven't. The same goes for One Man Guy. I absolutely love LGBT, and I also adore books written in the male perspective, so WHY HAVEN'T I PICKED THIS UP! I need to get my shit together, and you need to get better soon lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're better now! Did you enjoy Game of Thrones enough to continue? I'm watching Season 5 right now and things are really diverging from the books now although the main idea seems to be the same.

      Haha don't worry! Once you start a Saga novel, you won't stop and same goes for "One Man Guy". They're highly enjoyable.

      Delete
  4. Summer colds?! REALLY, SUMMER?! WHY YOU GOTTA BE SHITTY TO US?! Haha. I hope you feel much better soon! My grandmother has a cold right now, too, and it sucks seeing her feel so miserable and awful. I'm actually in the process of reading Vampire Academy right now. I was hesitant at first, but it's not too bad. I like Rose!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your grandma gets better! Make sure she drinks all orange juice and milk and water that she can find because it's so dry and hot in the summer.

      Vampire Academy seems all romance from the blurb and THAT UGHH MOVIE but the books have their own unique vampire world. Rose used to annoy me at first haha but she really grew on me and now I love her too (▰˘◡˘▰)

      Delete
  5. Feel better, Ju! Colds suck, bad. I remember getting a Migrarine attack for two to three days like a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to read books so bad, but I couldn't because my headache was terrible, I fell into audiobooks instead and luckly the ones I found were awesomeeee because the narrator is just perfection! ;D

    I haven't read any of these books, but I'm very intrigued especially the LGBT one. Though, I don't know about Vampire Academy. The movie was weird (in my opinion) and I couldn't stick around for 10 mins, lol.

    Blessie @ Mischievous Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah, migraines are scary 0_o My grandma used to get them and she couldn't get out of bed because her head would hurt so much. Hope you don't go through that again.

      And I KNOW THE VA MOVIE WAS HORRENDOUS. And trust me, it's nothing like the book. The books focus more on the vampire folklore whereas the movie tried to focus more on the high school aspect because I don't know why the producers though that would make it more "hip and funny" -_-

      Delete
  6. I've actually only read one book in this list and that would be Ask Again Later. I thought it was awesome. It reminded me of a more fun version of Pivot Point by Kasie West, which was also told in two storylines. I especially loved how both storylines came together in the end!

    I'll definitely be keeping these recs in mind when I get sick and I hope you GWS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nova! ^_^ I read Pivot Point too and the dual world thing is so confusing but really great when it all comes together. I don't remember how the parallel worlds existed in Ask Again Later but maybe it was just some crazy wizard hiding in the bushes who did that lol

      Delete
  7. Aww, I hope you weren't sick for too much longer after you posted this! Usually I find that I can't concentrate on books while I'm sick and that watching something is usually the only way to go, but I guess there can be different types of being sick that can affect this.

    Graphic novels do sound like a good idea. And I LOVE Smart Girls Get What They Want -- the characters are some of the most relatable to my life that I think I've ever read!

    At the risk of sounding weird, I'd just like to say that I ALSO had the chicken pox in 3rd grade 0.0 It was so uncomfortable, but I don't remember if I did anything at all besides scratch!
    - Lina @ Every Book a World

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes watching things helps but I get distracted so easily it's insane haha. Smart Girls Get What They Want was such a nice contemporary with real friendships, not those shallow ones that have Mean Girl backstabbing or any of that drama!

      Chicken pox was the worst, so many fevers and deliriousness. I remember that I gained magical abilities to draw Sonic the Hedgehog but when I got better, I couldn't even draw a smiley face.

      Delete