Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Review: Cress by Marissa Meyer


Title: Cress
Author: Marissa Meyer
Genre(s): Fantasy, Sci-Fi
Release Date: February 4, 2014
Date Read: March 19, 2015
Buy This Book: Amazon | Book Depository
My Rating:  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 
In this third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl imprisoned on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.

~ Juwairiya's Review ~

Yass, I'm officially in love with this series! Cinder was okay, Scarlet was great but Cress? It was freaking fantastic and blew me away! The book looks daunting because of its 550 pages but trust me, you won't even notice the pages fly by. Basically, Cinder's squad is on a race against time to stop Kai from doing the do with Queen Levana and they travel around space and Africa and more space to figure out the most full-proof plan, all while deadly new developments concerning the plague pop up. The pacing is better than ever and the story starts with a bang in the very beginning. Everything is more tightly plotted and the characters have so much more purpose now. Marissa Meyer's become an insta-buy author for me now because everything about this book is glorious.

The world of Luna is more close to us than it's ever been before. We spend time in Sybil the thaumaturge's head and that gives us a whole new vision of the caste and the royals on the moon. Still not enough, if you ask me, but then again, I'm too curious about everything that these Lunars do. I mean, they're living on the moon! How the hell do they grow potatoes there? Meticulously regulated greenhouses? I don't know but hopefully Fairest can answer my random questions. Oh yeah and we finally learn how the cyborg discrimination and the Cyborg Protection Act came to be but now that just makes me more curious about how the Commonwealth came to be and yes, I just keep wanting more.

But as interesting as the story and world are, nothing beats the diverse cast of characters. Cinder is the responsible mom of the group and it really feels like she's taking care of 7 kids while handling her part-time job of being a Lunar princess. I have so much respect for her. We see a more productive side of the loyal-to-his-kingdom Kai too and ever since that ending, I feel like I'm warming up to him. Scarlet wasn't in the story as much and neither was Wolf (or at least he wasn't there in mind) but I could feel their pain in all the little things they did like when Wolf was hugging a can of tomatoes to his chest *clutches heart*.

AND CRESS. How cute is she? She's the epitome of innocent damsel in distress but she also grows into someone independent and talented while still holding onto her gushing, dreaming side. Captain Thorne though *fans self*. He's charismatic and quick-witted as ever but we also see how he isn't the perfect hero, how he doubts himself and hides his frustrations. I have so much feels for these people. Even Jacin, the scowling and rude Lunar guard, has a soft side for a certain someone and OF COURSE IKO. She's the Baymax of this series and the most girliest, lovable android to ever be~ Then lastly, there is Sybil:


 Ah, this series really grew on me and now I need Winter so bad after seeing that flash of the crazy princess! She's like a murderously insane Luna Lovegood.



2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm really excited for this one now! The characters sound absolutely fantastic, they are one of my favorite aspects of this series. I've only read Cinder and Scarlet so far and I agree with you: Cinder, okay; Scarlet, great so I'm pretty sure I will feel the same as you did with this one! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alise! Yes, the characters are the shining point and the ships just keep increasing haha BUT so does their pain (ಥ_ಥ)

      Delete